New here check out my cb650c

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

dr4

Re: New here check out my cb650c

Postby dr4 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:17 pm

Did you happen to do a compression check before you tore it down? If all 4 were near 135-140 you probably won't benefit much from doing the rings. Mine were all around that range dry, and jumped up to 180 when I shot a tablespoon of oil in the cylinder and ran the test again. You should be able to get a whole lot more miles out of the original rings--I would think 40k miles plus.

The problem with bogging on a quick snap of the throttle may be the advancer. Once I got mine cleaned and properly lubed it completely changed the performance of the bike.

I get a black #3 plug every time too and I keep reading the same from others. Still haven't figured that one out.

Looks like you're on the right track! Appreciate the pictures--keep us up to date.

stevecb650c

Postby stevecb650c » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:51 am

Lazotreybi wrote:are you getting rid of the seat? i wouldnt mind buying it off of ya :)

Ill keep you updated.

dr4 wrote:Did you happen to do a compression check before you tore it down? If all 4 were near 135-140 you probably won't benefit much from doing the rings. Mine were all around that range dry, and jumped up to 180 when I shot a tablespoon of oil in the cylinder and ran the test again. You should be able to get a whole lot more miles out of the original rings--I would think 40k miles plus.

The problem with bogging on a quick snap of the throttle may be the advancer. Once I got mine cleaned and properly lubed it completely changed the performance of the bike.

I get a black #3 plug every time too and I keep reading the same from others. Still haven't figured that one out.

Looks like you're on the right track! Appreciate the pictures--keep us up to date.

Did not touch the rings.
Did not do a compression test. I should
It has to be the advancer! i was reading about this now im gonna take a look. Thank you!
Gonna check my #3 plug again
I apologize for not updating

stevecb650c

Postby stevecb650c » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:18 pm

Update:

Cleaned the pison heads and gasket surface. I bought a brass wheel from Sears and lightly removed the crappy old gasket

Here are pictures of cleaned and lapped valves. (Could not get good pictures of the EX and IN.)

After cleaning i was really tired to take more pictures of reassembly.
I used Athena gasket set ordered from oldbikebarn. Partzilla has it for cheaper.
During reassembly I ended up snapping a head bolt.

Tare down again.
This time removing the cylinder completely; to clean the threads to the head bolts, this also allowed me to clean more of the piston heads and the rings alot better.
I bought 2 new head bolts and reused the old ones. I recommend buying all new head bolts.
Reassembly and waited 24hrs for the gasket to sit.
Install rubber pucks & Gaskets
Install Cylinder Head (Proper Bolt Sequence)
Install Cam (Moly Lube)
Install Cam Gear (make sure you pay attention to the markings)
Install Rocker arm cover (make sure adjusters are loose)
Valve Adjustment.

Now the bike runs great.
Fresh oil
No more misfire
No more oil leak
Ill take pictures of the plugs they are looking good!
Bought a carb sync kit. Synced
Going to clean and lube the advancer

Plans:
Change the chain and sprockets
New Clutch
New Coil & Spark plug wires
Gas tank could use a clean.
New Front and Rear Tires
Also need to rebuild the brake master cylinder.
Last edited by stevecb650c on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

stevecb650c

Postby stevecb650c » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Cleaned and lubed the advancer (little difference)
Still have bogging issue from a quick blip of the throttle
removed airfilter and ran her with just with air box still bogs and stalls out if pulled to fast.
Suggestions?
Last edited by stevecb650c on Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevecb650c

Postby stevecb650c » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:21 pm

Pic Plug #3 Old used

stevecb650c

Postby stevecb650c » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:26 pm

Rode her today she did very well,
All plugs looking good with no oil on them.
I believe my idle jets are alittle clogged,
I need to adjust my throttle cable

This bikes thrrotle response is really good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thdc4DL ... ata_player

FordMan

Postby FordMan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:57 pm

my 79, has a nice crisp throttle response too, enough to walk all over a friends 2011 750 shadow.
I thought my other friend was feeding me a line, when he said he was more impressed with the 650 (he is my bikes PO) than he was with his 78 750 super sport or his 76 cb 750.
Its nice when the red-headed stepchild to the 750 can get in a few licks of its own.

Like the updated look to your bike, did u have as much fun as i did rerouting all the lines from the handlebars lol
"Vintage Revolution"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOrn_h ... DZhOPmH81w
Current:
1979 Honda CB650 (HardTail Build)
1983 Suzuki GS850L (Fix and Minor Restore)
Old:
1989 Suzuki Katana 600
1978 Honda CB400T "Hawk"
1983 Honda VF750

stevecb650c

Postby stevecb650c » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:00 pm

FordMan wrote:my 79, has a nice crisp throttle response too, enough to walk all over a friends 2011 750 shadow.
I thought my other friend was feeding me a line, when he said he was more impressed with the 650 (he is my bikes PO) than he was with his 78 750 super sport or his 76 cb 750.
Its nice when the red-headed stepchild to the 750 can get in a few licks of its own.

Like the updated look to your bike, did u have as much fun as i did rerouting all the lines from the handlebars lol

Thats awsome man, im trying to get the most out of my 650. And it took much longer than I thought to get the new handlebars on there. :lol:

DERDER Tim

Postby DERDER Tim » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:41 pm

This was a great read, Thanks for posting
feel free to hit me up on face book and introduce yourself as a fellow cb650 owner

http://www.facebook.com/Derdertim

Return to “Technical Discussion”