rainproofing? plugs, caps etc.

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

my79650

rainproofing? plugs, caps etc.

Postby my79650 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:50 am

Been going on for a while now; get caught in a downpour and miss, sounds like its running on 2 cylinders.
I did the trimming at both ends of the wires; siliconed the caps after i screwed them back on; dielectric greased the coil ends of the wires; sealed the pulser cover with a small amount of interior silicone that i used on my tub surround in the bathroom; and the damn engine still does this in the rain.
Driving in a small shower doesn't bother the engine at all; but the constant road spray after say 10 miles then it starts up.
Now last summer i only sealed up the plug caps and had no trouble at all. I want recommendations for new automotive type wires that i can get locally at the local auto parts suppliers like Napa or in my area or another type of store.
Last night i looked under the tank for jumping sparks and i didn't see any fire anywhere; so whats next? Replace the wires and caps? Coils? Everything? Just want pointed in the right direction before i start spending.

Folsoml

Re: rainproofing? plugs, caps etc.

Postby Folsoml » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:49 pm

Have you checked the coils themselves for cracks? That what it sounds like your problem may be.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:21 pm

pulse generators getting wet?
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

my79650

Postby my79650 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:23 am

One coil had a crack, i changed it out in May, pulsers were dry,but i sealed up the cover anyway. I am blaming it on the plug caps themselves as they're out in the weather, even sealed doesn't seem to matter.
I will try my other set of wires and caps first before i spend any money, but i was thinking the cap for a four wheeler may be better, i got a 450 Foreman and had it in water and mud up over the entire engine several times an it don't cut out, will check into that for plug caps.

cb650

Postby cb650 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:50 am

You can seal up the stock ones pretty good. My 80 did that so just unscrewed the end cut the wire back a little and put a little silicone under the rubber cover.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

my79650

Postby my79650 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:31 pm

I always put the silicone on the outside of the rubber smearing it around the wire and cap to seal it; never thought of doing it that way. Will try that tomorrow; weather says its gonna be clear til middle of next week before we get rain up here; will know then what happens

my79650

Postby my79650 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:07 am

Found the trouble; i did the run and pull test; started with #4, got a shock; The rest when i pulled them off the idling engine didn't shock me, so i can go to town and return the new plug wires i bought for an old honda civic and get my money back; they were 7mm copper/steel core but the plug cap on these wouldn't snap onto our ngk's; and the weatherproofing wasn't that great, ok if they were on the proper engine out of the weather, and the cap we have did screw onto them; but i got spare caps already; time to do some chopping and sealing to both ends again and hope for the best.

my79650

Postby my79650 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:19 am

Did as cb650 suggested to the caps, still ran like shit in the rain. Bought a can of spray on ignition silicone; the kind that turns white after it set for 10 minutes. I used 2 coats, 1 before i went to work and another before i went home.
I also sprayed up under the tank onto the coils as they were practically in the open when you take a close look; then i drove home in the rain behind a car on purpose to see how it performed, behind a vehicle forces more spray on the engine so it ran without a hitch. the can is small so it fits in a saddlebag or backpack easily.

my79650

Postby my79650 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:57 am

Got an idea: bought a cheap inner tube for lawn tractor; plan to cut it and wrap around the coils. will tie with zip ties and use a hole punch to feed plug wires through and seal with silicone. Still have the can of spray silicone for near the head.
Won't be the prettiest job but it will be under the tank and i am more into function than looks. then wait for a rainy day to try out.

Return to “Technical Discussion”