Pushing in the slow jets

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

andreortiz

Pushing in the slow jets

Postby andreortiz » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:00 pm

I'm attempting to finish this carb rebuild on my '80 650c but I'm puzzled by the slow jets. These 120 jets are the ones that get pushed into the carb body but they don't seem to want to slide in.

So my question is this:
Do I need to man up and push those suckers into place? Should I lube them first?

I don't want to apply too much pressure and risk damaging them.
... and to answer the most obvious question - Yes, they are the correct size for my carbs.

Thanks!

cb650

Re: Pushing in the slow jets

Postby cb650 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:59 pm

the main jets screw in and should be 90 for your bike. the idle jets press in and are 35 or so.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

andreortiz

Postby andreortiz » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:43 pm

cb650 wrote:the main jets screw in and should be 90 for your bike. the idle jets press in and are 35 or so.

Thanks but that's not the issue I'm faced with. I need to know the best way to get those slow jets in because they aren't sliding in as easily as I would expect.

Regarding your comment, I have a, 2 to 1 (x2) exhaust setup and K&N air pods. With that said, I purchased jets that are better suited for this. If you're interested, you can read about it here.

Do you have any suggestions about getting those slow jets to seat properly?
Thanks again!

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:01 pm

ok you said 120. That is not a press in idle jet size.
"These 120 jets are the ones that get pushed into the carb body but they don't seem to want to slide in."
from your 1st post.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

andreortiz

Postby andreortiz » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:21 pm

cb650 wrote:ok you said 120. That is not a press in idle jet size.
"These 120 jets are the ones that get pushed into the carb body but they don't seem to want to slide in."
from your 1st post.

@cb650 - Thanks for clearing that up. You are totally correct, the 120's (main jets) are threaded and the 42's (slow jets) are the push in type... these are the ones I am having issues with.

Now that I have confused the hell out of the situation, I am attempting to get the slow jets (42's) pushed into the carb body.

So my question is this:
Do I need to man up and push those suckers into place? Should I lube them first?

pabs11

Postby pabs11 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:59 pm

I pushed mine in easily, there wasnt a problem. I did however tap it lightly with a hammer with a wooden block in between and That worked perfect but I was really careful.

jcasey007

Postby jcasey007 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:20 pm

the idle jets are an interference fit so they need to be snug, I use a toffee hammer on mine (very small hammer) to tap them in. They have been in and out 5 times with no issues

you will know when they are seating in fully as the sound changes when you lightly tap them

Return to “Technical Discussion”