Need A Starter Clutch

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Dom P

Need A Starter Clutch

Postby Dom P » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:38 am

Just went through the task of removing my faulty starter clutch for my 1981 cb650 and im having a hard time locating a replacement. Anyone have any suggestions on places I could get my hands on a new one? Do clutches from the cb750's work? I'm looking at one for sale on ebay and it looks slightly different from what I pulled off my bike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351192195319?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Are there rebuild kits? Any feedback is appreciated.

Volker_P

Re: Need A Starter Clutch

Postby Volker_P » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:16 am

Here is what you need for a rebuild in case you need only the moving parts:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4399&start=7

This should be what you usually need, sometimes only the springs are required, but in few cases also the body was reported to be gone.
So have a closer look before you order the parts.
Your ebay link is a different one.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Dom P

Postby Dom P » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:10 pm

Thank you! That should work for the internal components of the clutch. I'm hung up on whether to replace the actual clutch itself. What are the typical signs that of it needing to be replaced? The body of it has shifted so only one of the three torx bolts was able to fall out of place. With the other two torx bolts, the bolt head can't make it past the clutch body hole it is supposed to come out of. Not sure if that means it's junk or not.

jcasey007

Postby jcasey007 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:44 pm

the Torx bolts will need 'jiggling' to get out and is not an indication of failure. The faces that the rollers run on should be inspected for flat spots, cracking and grooves (both the inner and outer faces). for the pain in the arse job this is I would replace all springs and all rollers as a matter of course

Return to “Technical Discussion”