Carb rebuild kits

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Spyug53

Carb rebuild kits

Postby Spyug53 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 pm

Is Honda like every other bike manufacturer and sells its parts at premium pricing? Are they the best place for carb rebuild kits in Ontario or is there somewhere better ( read cheaper) for a generic kit?

I'm not after jets, just the O-rings and whatever gaskets may be needed.

I hope to pull the carbs this weekend and give them a going over and rebuild so I can light the fire in this puppy.....hopefully.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
"Slowest beasts are always strongest and Manage to live the longest".
"If it's no Scottish, it's crap".

FordMan

Re: Carb rebuild kits

Postby FordMan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:04 pm

There is a thread on here by MiGhost i believe that details what 750 kits can be bought for cheaper than the 650 kits, and the only difference is the 750 kit doesnt have the o-rings, which can be found seperately, which is still cheaper than the 650 kits
"Vintage Revolution"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOrn_h ... DZhOPmH81w
Current:
1979 Honda CB650 (HardTail Build)
1983 Suzuki GS850L (Fix and Minor Restore)
Old:
1989 Suzuki Katana 600
1978 Honda CB400T "Hawk"
1983 Honda VF750

robtranog

Postby robtranog » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:34 pm

In the carb rebuild manual that is available on this site, Sean Grier has a service that rebuilds carbs. If you contact him at shgrier@earthlink.net he will mail you the full set of O-rings (+1 extra of each size) for a complete carb rebuild. The cost is five dollars that you pay to him via paypal to that e-mail address. I have an 82 CB650SC (cv carbs) and the O-rings are the same size for the 750. I bought a set from him about a month ago, they arrived within a few days and the O-rings were perfect....the manual was a huge help as well. As for standard gaskets sets (float bowl etc.), it seems you will pay premium pretty much everywhere. I just rebuilt my carbs and I ended up ordering the complete carb kits (from Japan) from Partsnmore (in Canada). I have bought a lot of parts from them and I find their prices to be competitive. Hope that helps.

Spyug53

Postby Spyug53 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:02 pm

Thanks much for the reply.

Since writing, I have located a local vendor for O-rings but I haven't purchased anything yet.

I did not get a chance to pull the carbs this weekend either to see where I stand but I will follow through with all of this at the first opportunity.

Unfortunately, it is might cold in the man cave and cold hands are useless when it comes to getting fiddly carbs out so I may wait a bit longer.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

derekwyn

Postby derekwyn » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi All, This is my first post and I hope it is on topic. I have a 79 cb650. I've taken the carbs apart and cleaned them with pinesol, but now that it's time to put them back together I've realized that I may be in over my head. I lost/destroyed the felt washers and some of the brass fittings that were holding them in. I have no Idea where to look for these and even If I get them I'm not sure I could competently re-assemble the carbs. Dows anyone know where I can get the felts and brass, and also does anyone know of a place in Edmonton Alberta where I could get them re-assembled properly. Thanks, Derek

Spyug53

Postby Spyug53 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:16 pm

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. There is a supplier located about an hour from me that may have them. I do not know for certain and I can't find them from the website but they do claim to carry inventory of over 250,000 components. Contact them and see if they can help : http://www.siriusconinc.com/

I am making a roadtrip up there myself next week and I will ask when I am there. I'll let you know what I find.

As to a competent rebuilder I cannot say but check your city directory and or Kijiji or similar. Any local bike forums or groups ? Facebook?

Maybe post a help wanted on Kijiji or Craigslist but be sure to check out any candidates before you hand over the bits and pieces.

The larger dealers are not going to be interested in working on 30 + year old bikes so don't waste your time with them but perhaps they can give a recommendation. I would be leery if they do offer to do them as you will pay through the nose. Typical shop rates are $60 to $90 an hour and you can bet it will be 5 to 7 hours for time.

My buddy, the former owner of this bike had these carbs in to a shop and after $300 they didn't work any better than when they went in...which is to say they didn't work. :evil:

A cheaper alternative might be to search out a spare set and use your existing for parts.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Cheers.

Worse comes to worst you can ship them to me but shipping ( and my wrench turning fee) would be a killer :roll:

Return to “Technical Discussion”