Charging issue.

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Tikbalang1

Charging issue.

Postby Tikbalang1 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:04 pm

Hey all I'm working on a 1980 honda cb650 and have replaced most of the charging system. I am still not charging my battery even when I ride. The only thing I can think of that could be bad would be the stator. I have tried to pull it out but it is just stuck as an be. What would I need to do to check the stator?

Thanks!!

MEHall

Re: Charging issue.

Postby MEHall » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:10 pm

A Multimeter to check the continuity between the 3 circuits and also check so there is no continuity between the stator itself and the circuits. The chargeing went on my bike and after much hassle it turned out to be a faulty wire harness, so a tip is to check there is no problem there. :wink:
Specified resistance should be 0,41-0,51Ω.

8)
Riding bikes? I ride where ever i want and whenever i want. :wink:

Online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com/

tidd650
Site Admin

Postby tidd650 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:21 pm

Keep us posted of your progress. The electrical system is the first thing I tackled on my bike.

Spyug53

Postby Spyug53 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:57 pm

Guys I would recommend you look at this and refer to the "Stator Papers" as referred to in Cliff's tutorial :

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/sto ... _check.pdf
This is based on a Suzuki GS stator but the testing should be similar enough for the CB.

While this does cover off looking at the stator I would recommend this is not the place to start your investigation and don't automatically assume the stator is at fault.

Start at the battery and work toward the stator. More often as not the culprit for bad or no charging is the wiring or more specifically the connectors and plugs in the wiring harness. Corrosion is the big killer of electrical systems and you should always start by cleaning and or replacing all the connectors from the stator to the Regulator/rectifier to the fuse block and to the battery. The "Stator Papers" contains a very precise fault finding flow chart that will help you.

Now you asked specifically about charging but if you have a weak charging system you are also very likely to have a weak ignition system. It is not uncommon for a voltage drop from the battery to the coils of 1 to 2 volts. This puts a heck of strain on ignition system and results in hard starting and poor running so I would recommend that once you verify charging have a look at this too. Pay particular attention to the handlebar run switch (kill switch) and ignition switch as a lot of corrosion can occur at these points.

To make your electrical investigations easier you should own a good digital multimeter and a circuit test light is indespensible for seeing where the juice is flowing. It is also good practice to familiarize yourself with the electrical schematic in your manual or in the online manuals presented here.

Old bike's electrical systems are the killer of many a good bike and if you want to have a reliable ride and not get stuck somewhere you should spend time looking into and verify the state of your bike's electricals. Don't leave things to chance and don't assume. Check to be sure.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
"Slowest beasts are always strongest and Manage to live the longest".
"If it's no Scottish, it's crap".

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:45 am

Tikbalang1 wrote:Hey all I'm working on a 1980 honda cb650 and have replaced most of the charging system.

Which means what parts?

Tikbalang1 wrote: The only thing I can think of that could be bad would be the stator.

Just swapping parts one after another and hoping for a solution is no safe proceeding because things can be a bit more tricky. E.g. a bad rotor might kill the regulator (and again its replacement). So measure the rotor resistance first, should be 4-10 Ohms between the sliprings.
Also verify that you have all cables and contacts clean and properly connected.

The stator should give 0.4-0.5Ohms between any pair of yellow wires and no connection to ground/case. Cheap multimeters are not good at small values so typically one will getsa 0-2 Ohm symmetric reading between the three yellow cables when it is fine and one pair differing from the others if it is bad. Any ground contact (below Megaohms) of a yellow wire is bad, too.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Tikbalang1

Postby Tikbalang1 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:15 pm

thank you all for your responses! I have checked the rotor and it is with the specified ohm range. the wiring and connections from the battery are all clean and secure, the stator has one pin that does not meet the specification. the other two pins are within the limits mentioned above. The reg/rec is brand new and I dont believe it to be problematic. My next task is trying to remove the stator from the stator cover. It just doesnt want to budge. Any tips to remove it?

Tikbalang1

Postby Tikbalang1 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:39 pm

I got it! just needed some brute force and fox-like wit!

AndrewCB650

Postby AndrewCB650 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:27 pm

what did you find out?

Return to “Technical Discussion”