26$ for a set of 4 intake boots?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Pbiggs

26$ for a set of 4 intake boots?

Postby Pbiggs » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:39 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/81-82-HONDA-CB6 ... 14&vxp=mtr

What do you guys think? Couldn't be any worse then the set I bought 6 months ago that are already leaking.

Volker_P

Re: 26$ for a set of 4 intake boots?

Postby Volker_P » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:07 am

It is at first a question of the material. It has to be UV- and fuel resistant and needs a proper flexibility together with enough stiffness to carry the carbs.
If it is not, you won't have fun for long.
Nowadays the choice of proper/suitable materials is no longer something one can rely on. In many cases the key requirement on stuff to be sold seems to have nice "before" pictures.

You live in times of internet and multimedia and cheap reproduction techniques.
This implies that visual similarity effectively lost its meaning as a key quality feature. Just be aware of that. Presently these guys shipping from the far east (but not only there) live from the fact that many people are still in the process of recognizing this.

So if you want a cheap solution, get reinforced coolant hose from a car parts shop as proposed here earlier. Then at least the material is (or should be) made for automotive applications. Noone would carve carb boots from wood, but using cheap plastic stuff is no much better idea.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

jcasey007

Postby jcasey007 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:14 am

I bought a set of these from china last year, the lasted 6 months before the cracked on each one all around the middle. when I took them off the material was hard.

you get what you pay for I believe, in my opinion if you can't get new genuine, try to get a good used set

Rgmack

Postby Rgmack » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:13 am

I bought these and installed them just a few days ago. I compared them to the originals and they looked the same (size, markings). I was skeptical as well but here's how I rationalized it; I'm no international trade guru but to me it makes sense that parts for a Japanese bike are probably more prevalent and cheaper to get from Japan than from a shop in the U.S. or wherever that had to order them from Japan, pay shipping and mark up to cover said shipping and try to make a profit.

Return to “Technical Discussion”