81 cb650 custom front brakes rub

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

ericfarmer

81 cb650 custom front brakes rub

Postby ericfarmer » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:54 am

i just bought my first CB650! it's an '81 model, and not too much to look at, but great to ride! unfortunately, my front brakes rub and squeak constantly. i've not taken the calibers apart yet, but was wondering if anyone knew of anything specific i should be looking for? any advice would be helpful. thanks,

eric
fayetteville, ga

cb650

Re: 81 cb650 custom front brakes rub

Postby cb650 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:43 pm

Congrats!!! No help on the brakes though. Never had to mess with any of mine except my 360.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Volker_P

Re: 81 cb650 custom front brakes rub

Postby Volker_P » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:09 am

Welcome here Eric! :D
Brake squeaking when braking is nothing serious, however permanent squeak is suspicious. Do the disks even get warm?
As they are "swimming" calipers there is only one caliper piston while the opposite side moves by gliding on the bolts. Sometimes these bolts are seized, then the brake bends at braking and the stuck side does not really give free the disk. Can even lead to different wear of brake pads if riding like that for longer. BTW, there should be anti-squeak plates between pads and caliper pistons, but that's for during braking.
So I guess you care for the bolts first, which means get them out, check for wear and sand and lubricate them and the opening they move in. Then find out whether the pistons also need work.
To my opinion it is always a good idea to change brake fluid when you get a bike new. And if you change brake fluid and your brake makes unusual things, I'd say it is not too far to take apart all moving parts, check for corrosion and get 30 year old dirt out of the corners.
May save this until winter in case you just like to ride now (and you don't ride in mountains with a passenger), but check the gliding bolts soon.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Technical Discussion”