Broken Carbs, advice please

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

nemesis_custom

Broken Carbs, advice please

Postby nemesis_custom » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:53 am

Hi all,

When i took my carbs off i noticed a problem....

As far as i can tell the zip ties are to hold both sides together so they operate as one unit.

The right hand side spring is missing and someone has wrapped a thin wire around it with another zip tie to hold it in place.

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to carburetors, can this be repaired or am i looking at finding another set of carbs??

If it can be repaired where do i start?

Richard
My bikes don't leak oil, They are marking their territory!!

Folsoml

Re: Broken Carbs, advice please

Postby Folsoml » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:44 pm

It does not look like a spring is missing. I'm wondering if a previous owner did not properly reassemble the carb bank, which caused the choke butterflies not to close together. They may then have tried to force them to close together by zip tying them together. Take a look at this document--paying particular attention starting on page 32.

http://www.cb750c.com/publicdocs/SeanG/Honda_Carb_Manual_revG.pdf

This will explain how the choke springs should be.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Spyug53

Postby Spyug53 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:31 pm

I agree with Folsoml. The spring is there. Here is another pic in which you can see how it aligns:

I think the previous owner may have added the zip ties to compensate for a weak spring. It shouldn't be needed. I think your starting point is a separation of the carbs and a good cleaning.

You might need to replace the spring too of course but you won't know until things are cleaned and reassembled.

Good luck with it.
"Slowest beasts are always strongest and Manage to live the longest".
"If it's no Scottish, it's crap".

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:53 am

nemesis_custom wrote:As far as i can tell the zip ties are to hold both sides together so they operate as one unit.

As long as it works like this and all flaps open completely when you release the choke I would just leave it alone until there is a real need to care for the carbs.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Technical Discussion”