Rough to start

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Nor79

Rough to start

Postby Nor79 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:19 am

I just bought a 79 CB 650. I'm pretty happy with it. The only problem is that start up is a little rough meaning that I will choke it plus hit the throttle a couple times to kick the motor over.Once I put it in gear and give it gas, it wants to bog out, so I feather the clutch a little for about a block and the problem is gone.after about 1 minute after, it runs great. I'm thinking it is running lean. I don't have a manual handy so I'm not sure about where the fuel/ air mixture screws are. I beleave the screws are the ones on the top at an angle facing towards the left and right side of the bike. I'm just wondering if I am on the right track with this issue.

cb650

Re: Rough to start

Postby cb650 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:15 pm

Blurry big pic. The mixture screws your looking for are on the bottom in front of the bowls. The others are sync ports.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Nor79

Postby Nor79 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:28 pm

Thanks for the insight.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:32 am

Welcome here! :D

Nor79 wrote:... The only problem is that start up is a little rough meaning that I will choke it plus hit the throttle a couple times ...
... after about 1 minute after, it runs great.

Congratulations!
Your CB650 behaves as normal as possible which means everything is fine. :lol:

Nor79 wrote: I'm just wondering if I am on the right track with this issue.

This is no issue, its a feature! :lol:

Basically cold start suffers additionally when the black idle adjust knob is out too much and/or the carbs are a bit out of sync.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:36 am

Welcome here! I removed your HUGE picture as it makes the thread hard to read. If you want to repost it, check my signature for suggestions.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Return to “Technical Discussion”