Need cafe modification advise

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Nor79

Need cafe modification advise

Postby Nor79 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:12 pm

Hello again fellow CB enthusiests, I'm am looking for advice on my 79 CB 650 cafe mod. I am haveing a hard time makeing a cowl seat desicion. I found a seat at motorcycleseatsdirect .com that they say will make use of the hard ware thats on the current seat. Has anyone out there ever delt with this site for a seat? Thought about detabbing and creating one from fiberglass. Second, is the much modification to adding smaller turn signals after removing the factory signals. I have been reading that wrapping pipes could make the bike run too lean. I'm not looking to rejet just to add wrap but I am looking to black out my pipes. Advice would be much appreciated.

tario

Re: Need cafe modification advise

Postby tario » Sun May 03, 2015 3:29 pm

I can't give much input on the seat. I have seen covers that add a padded hump in back. If you can reshape the foam to work this might be the easiest option. Or build a fibreglass hump onto the seat pan you have.

Turn signals should be pretty easy as long as you don't go led. The stock flasher needs enough amperage (or the correct voltage?) to trip it correctly. I think led works but flashes too fast. You'll want double filament in the front and single in the back. The original signal mount in the front should just unbolt and you'd use the new signals to bolt on the headlight. In the rear the signal is on that chrome bar that wraps around the seat so you could attempt to chop off or rework the tabs. The other option would be to bolt them somewhere on the tail light or make your own mounts.

I don't know much about balancing fuel mixture but the carbs have a little bit of adjustment. Mostly it seems any serious issue requires re-jetting to make things work correctly throughout the rpm range.
1979 cb650
1980 cb650

socal1200r

Postby socal1200r » Sun May 03, 2015 4:17 pm

Seat: get a picture of how you want the seat to look (I'm assuming a solo seat look, with the hump behind it?), and take it to an upholstery shop. They should be able to modify your stock seat to look like that without too much effort.

Turn signals: second on don't go with LEDs, dual filaments up front, singles in the rear, and make sure you get REAL turn signals (lenses should be stamped with DOT), not marker lights. You'll get cited for using marker lights for turn signals.

Black out pipes: best way to do this is to get them ceramic coated or jet hot coated. I got my 4-1 ceramic coated black, and it turned out pretty good.

Once you get started down the road of a "cafe" conversion, there's other things besides a seat, turn signals, and black exhaust. Things like handlebars, no side covers, laced wheels, dropped headlight, minimal instrumentation, etc. I figured it would be more of a challenge to keep mine more or less stock, which allows me more time to ride it!
Attachments
20141211b.jpg
20141211b.jpg (215.62 KiB) Viewed 3702 times
20150101f.jpg
20150101f.jpg (159.38 KiB) Viewed 3702 times
20150101a.jpg
20150101a.jpg (109.59 KiB) Viewed 3702 times

Nor79

Postby Nor79 » Sun May 03, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks for the input. I installed Clubman bars on it. Had a time rerouteing cables so nothing was crimped. Got that all looking sharp. I thought about takeing the factory air box off and doing 38 mm pods and rejetting but I really don't mind how it is now. Seat, turn signals, running-brake light, to reduce clutter and a buddy of mine does ceramic coating, I was just wondering if rejetting was a necessity. From what I understand, it's all in how the heat is dispersed. I always thought it went out the tail pipe. What ever the case may be, thanks for the input.

Return to “Technical Discussion”