Another starter clutch thread

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

The Volt

Another starter clutch thread

Postby The Volt » Wed May 13, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi guys, been a while since I have posted even though I visit the site almost daily. After a few years I am pretty much finished my 1980 CB650c build and would like to put insurance on it and enjoy all my hard work this summer. Just a few kinks to work out yet.

The bike does not like to start cold, and it makes a noise like the starter is spinning. I have been doing some reading on the failed/weak starter clutches these bikes seem to have issues with. The bike starts fine when I bomb start it in 2nd gear, and will start easier with the starter after it is warmed up, but I'm starting to think I might be the next victim of a failed starter clutch.

Here is what I have done so far to trouble shoot. Removed/cleaned starter, confirmed starter gear only spins freely in 1 direction through the starter hole. I also tried the spare starter from my parts bike. Have tried 2 different starter solenoids, have a brand new battery freshly charged with over 13v (Hope the battery is not defective), have tried starting with and without the clutch pulled in, and also in neutral and second gear. Have tried rolling the bike backwards in 2nd gear with the clutch pulled in........The only other thing I have not tried is to clean off the main frame ground a little more as the bracket that bolts to the frame and the motor mount was powder coated with my frame. I did sand off the face off the bracket where the cable connects, so I'm not sure a bad ground is my issue. Here is a video of the bike trying to start. Need your help to determine if this sounds like a starter clutch failing? Is there anything you guys think I missed before I source the parts and get into this job? Bike only has about 32,000 Kilometres on it. Thanks in advance. Cheers. Video link attached.

518621294_295x166.jpg
518621294_295x166.jpg (14.45 KiB) Viewed 5005 times

Last edited by The Volt on Mon May 25, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cb650

Re: Not another starter clutch thread!!!

Postby cb650 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:50 pm

I would say starter clutch. While your in there check the cam chain tensioner is in the right spot. Dont sound like it in the running vid.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

The Volt

Postby The Volt » Wed May 13, 2015 3:57 pm

Thanks. Yes, the chain tensioner is in the proper "notch" thanks to this forum. When I put the top end back together I made sure of that thing was installed correctly. For some reason in the video it sounds pretty noisy, but standing next to the bike it is actually pretty quiet. Guess I will order the replacement springs, caps, rollers, and dowel. I will use them sooner than later by the sounds of things.

Pbiggs

Postby Pbiggs » Thu May 14, 2015 9:25 pm

I'd quit turning it over the second I hear that noise, the first Time I did a starter clutch on the 650 I only had to drop the pan and torque the bolts back up, It was easy but I ended up having the properly replace the rollers and springs a few months later. It is a easy job just be patient and wear safety goggles hah

The Volt

Re: Another starter clutch thread.

Postby The Volt » Mon May 25, 2015 3:42 pm

So with all the new parts in hand from Honda ($32.00 CAD) last night I got started on the starter clutch job. 1 of the 3 torx head bolts was almost completely worked out and the other 2 bolts were loose. One of the caps and springs were stuck inside the hole due to a broken spring. The rest of the parts all seem in good condition but I will replace everything with the new parts. I searched all over town for M6x10 Allen Head bolts with a low head thickness, but could not find anything local. So I will use the original 3 Torx Head bolts with blue thread lock, and this T30 Tool I have. I actually enjoyed doing this job. Read over the procedure found on this site in the internal links page. It's a good feeling, finding the cause of the problem and fixing it.
Attachments
IMG_1511.JPG
IMG_1511.JPG (166.8 KiB) Viewed 4924 times
UT8izCAXnlbXXagOFbXI.jpg
These are the new bolts I was hoping to find to replace the Torx head bolts.
UT8izCAXnlbXXagOFbXI.jpg (33.02 KiB) Viewed 4924 times

Return to “Technical Discussion”