help with Wiring

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

pabs11

help with Wiring

Postby pabs11 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:59 am

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well. Its been a while since I have posted and Ive been reading a lot of posts.

I have an issue with my electrical and I was wondering if anyone could be some help.

So I put my bike away for winter and took out the battery and left it charging most of winter.

I decide to change the lights on the dash to LED and modify the starter button and the kill switch.
After rewiring my LED lights, I tested them out straight to the battery and they work fine. As for the starter button, I noticed the original button has a connection when not being pressed. ( the black and red wire with the Blue and white wire.) SInce My new starter button only had two prods, I figured I could connect together the two wires together so they are always touching.

I went to putt my battery back and reconnect my dash lights, and starter. The PROBLEM is, my lights dont turn on at all now. No Oil Light, No Nuterle Light and defently no start.

Before you ask:
-My battery is charged to 12.13
-I tried doing the starter solenoid test with the a screwdriver ( Guessing I did it right buy touching both screws)
- Checked if any power was coming out of connectors( No power )
- all fuses are there and not burnt out
- Head light and turn singles are not connected.

Im wondering if the two wires ( Black/red and Blue/white) connected causing all this?

Any suggesting or answer attempts would be appreciated.

Thank you for reading, sorry for lengthy post

Pablo

Folsoml

Re: help with Wiring

Postby Folsoml » Tue May 19, 2015 4:20 am

I moved your thread from the for sale section to the technical discussion forum.

What model bike do you have? In the general discussion section there is a manual with color wiring diagrams that can help you.

PS: 12.13 is pretty low voltage.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

tario

Postby tario » Tue May 19, 2015 6:06 pm

If we knew what version of 650 you have it would make troubleshooting much easier as folsomi said. If you have a 79 or similar connecting those two wires might cause it to have issues starting but your instrument bulbs should light up when the bike is on.

On my 79 the black/red connects to the blue/white while the starter button is left alone. This is a feed to the headlight. It gets disconnected when you hit the starter so the battery has less draw.

If nothing is working maybe check your main ground. Or you said you checked the fuses but there is one that is in a different location. The main fuse is on the starter solenoid.

Also over charging a battery is bad for it. They do make "battery tenders" that monitor the battery and keep it between 90% and 100%. If you have one of these it's actually good for the bike.
1979 cb650
1980 cb650

tario

Postby tario » Tue May 19, 2015 6:25 pm

I did some snooping since my last post and it looks like you at least had a 1979.

From a wiring diagram I looked up the issue could be with your selenoid connector/connections(little thing next to battery), regulator connector(biggest magic electric box under seat) , the regulator itself, the fuse box connector, or the indicator light connector. You should read 12v to ground off each of these. (give or take, it's never exactly 12v) I have listed them in order, whenever you don't get power to ground you have found your fault.

It just dawned on me... my battery needs to be installed backwards when compared to the stock ones. For the motomaster 12v-12 (I think that was the model) you need to have the contacts towards the middle of the bike. Both wires reached for me though. So make sure your positive pole goes to the selenoid. Maybe check the volts from each side of the battery to frame ground just to make sure everything is as it should be.
1979 cb650
1980 cb650

pabs11

Postby pabs11 » Wed May 20, 2015 1:23 am

Sorry about that. I do have a 79

Im really hoping its my starter solenoid considering it had a wire as a fuse when I got my bike. The thing is, it still ran but now, nothing happens. Ive ordered a new one with a more modern fuse.

I guess I would have to start my bike with the head light off to get most power. I promise to turn it on right after.

I really dont want to buy another battery, this would be my second one. Im hoping to start it up and crossing my fingers it will hold a bigger charge.

Ill test all the connectors again but as I recall I wasnt receiving anything from it.

Thanks for all your help and advice, hopefully it works out. any more advise would be appreciated.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed May 20, 2015 4:40 am

pabs11 wrote: The thing is, it still ran but now, nothing happens. Ive ordered a new one with a more modern fuse.

Your new solenoid will most likely not wire up like your old one. The current plug coming from the wiring harness will not match the receptor in the solenoid. You will need to pull the wires out of the plug and plug them in individually. I'll try to find a diagram or picture to show how they should go.

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Thu May 21, 2015 8:32 am

I created a diagram for you.

pabs11

Postby pabs11 » Fri May 22, 2015 2:39 am

Thanks man, this helps a lot. Ill keep you posted and let you know how it goes.

pabs11

Postby pabs11 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:40 pm

Progress I think?

Hi guys, I just wanted to give you an update...

I finally got my new starter solenoid in the mail ( Took forever, I guess thats the price I pay for free shipping)

The Solenoid is exactly what Folsoml mentioned, so i wired it up the same and Nothing happened :(

So I was playing around the wiring, and I connected the red white tab mentioned in the diagram to the green red wire and the neutral light came on !! I was happy for a moment but realized the oil light wasnt on, which is the main light i look for considering it always comes on when turning the key.

The neutral light was shutting off when I pressed the starter button but thats about it.

I also noticed that the neutral light would stay on even if the key was set on the off position and I got a new clutch lever that doesnt have a switch so i connected the two main clutch starter switch wires together with alligator wires. What that being said, I noticed that the alligator wires were getting really hot and started smoking.

I quickly discounted everything and now here i am trying to wrap my head around it, sigh

Any thoughts?

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:47 am

pabs11 wrote:I connected the red white tab mentioned in the diagram to the green red wire and the neutral light came on !! I was happy for a moment but realized the oil light wasnt on, which is the main light i look for considering it always comes on when turning the key.

The neutral light was shutting off when I pressed the starter button but thats about it.

I also noticed that the neutral light would stay on even if the key was set on the off position and I got a new clutch lever that doesnt have a switch so i connected the two main clutch starter switch wires together with alligator wires. What that being said, I noticed that the alligator wires were getting really hot and started smoking.

What about connecting those two wires seemed like a good idea? Take a look at this diagram that shows how the solenoid plays into the electrical system.

You have problems somewhere other than the solenoid. In your original post, you mention battery voltage at 12.13. This is very low. This could be part of your problem, or just another symptom. Was the bike running before you made all the changes with the lighting system? Can you return it to it's original condition and see if it runs again?

pabs11

Postby pabs11 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:13 pm

Thanks for the diagram.

My bike started up fine last summer, but and im sure that the oil light came on, but cant tell you about the rest because the bulbs were old.

At this point i just feel like saying screw it, and rewiring my bike.

I want to start wiring it as simple as possible, for example, having an ignition key switch and a starter button, perhaps a kill switch. After I have that down, I was thinking of wiring the accessories straight to the battery using an electrical box.

Just wish this solenoid wasnt so complicated.

Hey, can anyone help me out and figuring out how this guy changed his starter switch like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrgb3hitaVg

fast forward to 2:23

Thanks

Return to “Technical Discussion”