looking for a resource: know of any?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

kbailey

looking for a resource: know of any?

Postby kbailey » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:20 am

I figured out why those carbs I bought on ebay are different than the ones I have on my bike. The designation on the side of each carb (VE75A) along with the factory service manual tells me that these carbs are off of the california model. That model of course has extra emission control hardware like the evaporative emission control system that captures fuel tank vapors and routes them into a charcoal canister. While the bike is running the vapors from the canister are routed into the carburetor. I'm looking for a good resource that explains in detail the difference between the california model and the regular model carburetors. i.e. can I easily put these california model carbs on my bike? anyone know any good websites for stuff like that? thanks again for y'alls input.

Volker_P

Re: looking for a resource: know of any?

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:11 am

The only thing I can offer is a scheme of the XR650L california emmission system with a single CV carb.
Maybe it helps to figure out which openigs you have to plug. The jetting and basic carb settings of the california XRL is the same as for the usual models, so the impact of the fuel tank gas manifold seems to be low at least in this case.

Last edited by Volker_P on Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

kbailey

thanks

Postby kbailey » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:42 am

well, diagramatically that looks identical to what I see. my sincere hope is that I can just plug the extra ports and go on like no one knows the difference. I have been surfing the net for a couple hours now and cannot find what I want. I think maybe tomorrow I will go visit my local dealer and see if I can have a short conversation with an experienced tech.

on a side note, I am going to have to adjust the pilot screw on these carbs. I need to find a tachometer that is accurate to better than +/- 50 rpm at ~1100 rpm. I envision one that clamps around a spark plug wire and measures the frequency of the sparks by inductance. It seems like such a simple thing but I don't seem to be able to find an inexpensive one. I can find laser ones that you can just point and shoot at any rotating object. I suppose I could take off the pulse generator cover and point one of those at the rotor but I question their accuracy. do you have a good idea for a maker of such tools that I might be able to get one? keep in mind that I am in the states. thanks again.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:40 am

I do not know why you need that absolute accuracy. Anyway, if it was my task, I would wrap a well insulated (!) wire around one ignition cable (but probably primary side cable of coil is better as current is relevant for field) and connect the thing to my old oscilloscope and see what it does. 1150rpm would be 19Hz or 52ms between pulses, 5% lenght shift should be visible in an extended view of a suitable range.
Maybe you have a buddy who repairs electronic stuff who can help you with that. :D

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:54 am

Looks to me like the arrows on that diagram are labeled backwards. I think it's possible to measure RPM's with a multimeter also. Might wanna look into that if you have a good multimeter. Good luck.
1980 CB650c

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:37 am

Chris wrote:Looks to me like the arrows on that diagram are labeled backwards.

You are right Chris, sorry. :oops: I fixed and resized the picture. :roll:

Return to “Technical Discussion”