Intermitent elecrtrical problem

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Vaudray

Intermitent elecrtrical problem

Postby Vaudray » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi guys!
I seem to be having a smal problem with this part ( picture below )
This solenoid is located just behind the battery casing and it seems its touching
The frame and shorting everything
I am not sure if this is my problem but can you guys tell me the best way to go about putting
It back on the bracket where it belongs

Folsoml

Re: Intermitent elecrtrical problem

Postby Folsoml » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:03 am

I removed your pictures because they were so large it made the thread hard to read.

The item that WAS in you pictures is the turn signal flasher relay. It is supposed to sit in a rubber holder attached to a tab on the back side of the battery box. The rubber holder has dry rotted in the 35 years since it was made, so the previous owner must have stuffed it where ever he could. I'll go ahead and tell you in advance that the green wire goes to nothing. It is a spare ground wire.

When you say it is "shorting everything out, " what do you mean? What is the bike doing? If this item shorted, it should just blow the fuse for the turn signals.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Vaudray

Postby Vaudray » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:31 am

sorry for the picture size and thank you for the time you take to help me

it seems that since the relay is not in its place it is touching the frame.

when i put the key in and turn the bike on all the lights are on but after about one second i hear a tick and all the lights go off and nothing else appends

this appends to me yesterday it was only the second time i took the bike to work
i had to remove the seat to have acces to the relay, i fiddle with it a few times and the lights went back on
i did not dare take the bike today as its not reliable
except that little problem the bike runs like a charm

your input is most apreciated

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:30 pm

I'm not sure that the relay touching the frame should short anything. The relay itself is a self contained unit. The outside of it does not have any current. There may be a short in the wire somewhere that reconnected when you fiddled with it, or a loose plug. You should almost certainly go though the wiring harness and clean all the contacts.

I saw in your picture that the starter solenoid does not have the original 30amp fuse. I could not tell what was in it's place. Does it now have an inline fuse holder wired in with a proper 30 amp fuse?

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Vaudray

Postby Vaudray » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:40 pm

Hey guys!
I did change the starter solenoid fuse wich had a 15 amp fuse, and i put a 30 amp instead
I had to use my power pack to start it since my battery was low
Went for a ride and after about 10 minutes from my house i stoped at a stop sign and the bike died on me
I had to call my wife to come meet me with the power pack
On my way back i kept the bike running in low gear to make sure it would charge

I still have the ignition switch problem on and again i put the key in and nothing happens
I wait a few minutes and the lights come on after a bit of fiddling with the key
What should i check next?

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:23 am

Folsoml wrote: You should almost certainly go though the wiring harness and clean all the contacts.

Return to “Technical Discussion”