Engine Idle problems

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

kc13661

Engine Idle problems

Postby kc13661 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:05 pm

:oops: Help with ideas anyone? I have just rebuilt the top end of my 650z (UK model) All appearsfine the engine fires up with the slightest of touches on the button, however I cannot seem to get the idle set up, engine seems to race and then there is what sounds like a very small blowback into the carbs (you really have to listen to hear it) then the revs drop..... all four cylinders are firing but this problem is really starting to irritate me...(best summer we have had in our history) and i cant ride my bike.... Timing is set up cam chain was set so that mark on end of shaft was aligned as instructed...... Any ideas folks!! Thanks Keith
Stay Safe Stay Upright

Ibsen

Postby Ibsen » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:40 pm

Check for air leaks in the intake system, mainly the intake manifolds. Do you have a workshop manual for the bike? If you have, then adjsut the pilot screws according to the manual. And finally get the carbs synched.

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:41 pm

I had a backfire into my carbs last month and found a cracked insulator inside one of the plugs. Are you using a fresh set of plugs?
1980 CB650c

kc13661

Possible intake

Postby kc13661 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:06 am

The only manual I have is a Haynes one....(not the best) I have had a visual inspection looks like a possiblity that the carb manifold rubbers are leaking they are showing signs of slight surface cracks, will have to inspect them more thoroughly. Then if need be try the daunting task of finding replacements. I intend have the carbs synch'ed (or as we say balanced) but need to get it in a position where i can ride it to the appropriate place.

Thanks folks....

Keith
Stay Safe Stay Upright

Return to “Technical Discussion”