Possible short

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Masika

Possible short

Postby Masika » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:21 pm

Bike died on the highway, trucked it home, found out one of the igniters was "fried" replaced it and it happened again as soon as i turned the key, now (with key on or off doesnt make a difference) but the kill switch in the on position I have continuity between the green wire and both the black/white and yellow wire on the harness to the igniter. but with kill switch off no continuity between the 3 only green to ground and the black/white, yellow to positive. im guessing this isnt normal but wanted to make sure, if its not... where is the most likely spot I have a short? again only with kill switch in the on position. Thanks

Masika

Re: Possible short

Postby Masika » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:07 am

Okay, so ive concluded the short is in the regulator, I did the mod a few years ago so I have one of those $15 regulators from a chevy but my theory is I had a bad battery that wasnt dampening the charge properly while running so it overloaded the regulator. Was in the process of getting a new battery anyway... So I will get a new regulator over the weekened. Side note, does anyone have a spate cdi they can sell very cheap or maybe trade an OEM taillight for one?

Return to “Technical Discussion”