Throttle Kills Engine

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

braincube

Throttle Kills Engine

Postby braincube » Sun May 01, 2016 1:18 pm

I'm hoping for an easy solution, but we'll find out - I've got a 1982 Honda CB650. Generally, the engine dies when I give it throttle.

My bike was parked for about a week at work. I was able to start the bike up, ride about 15 miles home, but toward the end of the ride it began sputtering as if I'd run out of fuel. I changed to my reserve tank (thinking I was out of fuel), continued on, rolled into the driveway on its last legs. I thought perhaps it was water in my tank; I had just replaced the carburetor boots (new), synchronized the carbs, checked/set valve clearance, set the idle screw, everything was running nicely. I tried to drive it today, and got stuck at the bottom of a hill where it died when I gave it some throttle..

I was thinking checking the fuel line for blockages, checking the float bowls for dirty/watery fuel, installing in inline filter, adding Heet (or 90% isopropyl alcohol), draining the system of fuel and replacing with brand new fuel, and then finally - removing the carburetors to clean the jets.. in that order. Does this sound like the correct procedure for troubleshooting - or am I missing something?

rayjordan101

Re: Throttle Kills Engine

Postby rayjordan101 » Sun May 01, 2016 1:20 pm

Make sure your running on all four cylinders and if not check your pulser i had this problem last week

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

tario

Postby tario » Sun May 01, 2016 1:53 pm

Are the carb boots super tight and fully mounted? I've heard vacuum leaks can cause problems and it's an easy thing to check. Otherwise maybe see if the choke makes it worse or better. Then you know if you need more air (runs better with choke down) or more fuel (runs better with choke up). If there is no difference then your ratio might be fine and there is an electrical issue.

You seem to be on the right track based on what I'd be doing.
1979 cb650
1980 cb650

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sun May 01, 2016 2:06 pm

I would definitely start by making sure you are getting good fuel flow from the tank to the carbs. Do you have an automatic fuel valve on your carbs? If so, I would bypass/remove it.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

cb650

Postby cb650 » Sun May 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Idle jet or try with filter out. Did you clean the tank out??????
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Return to “Technical Discussion”