Turn Signal - aftermarket replacements

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

CanCB650

Turn Signal - aftermarket replacements

Postby CanCB650 » Mon May 16, 2016 2:18 pm

Hey all,

While rebuilding my 79 650 i had to replace the turn signals on the bike. For the rear turn signals, and break light I ordered a LED unit with integrated signals (I'm still waiting for this to arrive). Up front I have 2 2-wire single-filament signals (green wire connects to positive terminal and yellow wire to negative terminal). I'm having issues getting these sorted out correctly with my wiring harness. To connect them I connected the green to the blue/orange striped wired and the yellow to the green ground connection (or ground on the frame if i'm testing it).

The issue I am running into is the signals only turn on when the indicator switch is in the "off" position. When I move it to either the left or right the the indicator lights turn off.

I'm trying to diagnose the problem and am wondering if it is an issue with the flasher relay (I have a new one ordered just to be safe), or if there is something else going on I don't know about.

Admittedly, I terrible with the wiring - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

tario

Re: Turn Signal - aftermarket replacements

Postby tario » Mon May 16, 2016 8:48 pm

I would think you have them wired backwards. Not sure how they work now if that's the case. Usually you just match the colors on your wires (ie: green to green) Sometimes led blinks too fast which you can fix by adding resistors or newer flasher designs.
1979 cb650
1980 cb650

CanCB650

Postby CanCB650 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:50 am

Hey,

I think you may have been right about the wires being crossed. So I replaced the original flasher relay with the Audew 2-pin flasher relay (https://www.amazon.ca/AUDEW-Motorcycle- ... B011O49RHC), then corrected the wiring. When I use the Audew flasher relay none of my turn signals seem to work at all. But, when I use the old flasher relay the rear signals light up but do not flash and the front signals are both permanently on, and when use the turn signal to turn left, the right signal turns off and vise versa (only with the front, which are non-led).

Thoughts?

onepieceatatime

Postby onepieceatatime » Thu May 26, 2016 9:50 am

The front turn signals were a 2 element bulb, one for running lights, the other for turn signal. The ground connection for the bulbs was from the chassis through the housing.
Here is a color wiring diagram:
http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/fi ... 50_79_.jpg
Folsoml wrote: Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. :lol:

1977 CB750K
1977 CB750K
1978 CB400A
1980 CB650C
1980 CB650
1982 CB900F
1982 CM450A
1997 GL1500SE

CanCB650

Postby CanCB650 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:55 am

onepieceatatime wrote:The front turn signals were a 2 element bulb, one for running lights, the other for turn signal. The ground connection for the bulbs was from the chassis through the housing.
Here is a color wiring diagram:
http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/fi ... 50_79_.jpg

Right I see. The replacement signals I went with were more similar to these in terms of connection: https://www.amazon.ca/YOUNGFLY-Amber-Mo ... rn+signals . How should i go about correcting this?

Thank you!

onepieceatatime

Postby onepieceatatime » Thu May 26, 2016 10:15 am

The striped wires are for the running lights, orange for left and blue for right. Those would need to be capped off, if you do not plan on using them, and the solid orange and solid blue would go to the positive on your new signals, and the ground of the signals to the chassis ground.
Also, with LED lights, the original flasher unit will not work, as they do not provide enough load for it.
Folsoml wrote: Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. :lol:

1977 CB750K
1977 CB750K
1978 CB400A
1980 CB650C
1980 CB650
1982 CB900F
1982 CM450A
1997 GL1500SE

CanCB650

Postby CanCB650 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:36 am

onepieceatatime wrote:The striped wires are for the running lights, orange for left and blue for right. Those would need to be capped off, if you do not plan on using them, and the solid orange and solid blue would go to the positive on your new signals, and the ground of the signals to the chassis ground.
Also, with LED lights, the original flasher unit will not work, as they do not provide enough load for it.

Awesome, thank you very much! I'll give it a shot. I currently had them wired into stripped ones instead of the solids as well as the Green grounding wires. I'll switch it up and see what happens and report back.

Thanks again!

CanCB650

Postby CanCB650 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:02 am

onepieceatatime wrote:The striped wires are for the running lights, orange for left and blue for right. Those would need to be capped off, if you do not plan on using them, and the solid orange and solid blue would go to the positive on your new signals, and the ground of the signals to the chassis ground.

So many issues solved. You were 100% correct about the wiring. I had it done incorrectly. This fixed along with a new flasher relay and everything is working perfectly. Thank you for the great info

Return to “Technical Discussion”