cleaning a tank

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

cruiserlover

cleaning a tank

Postby cruiserlover » Wed May 18, 2016 8:57 pm

Brought my 79 cb 650 home today.Has sat in a garage for 12 years.really dirty bike,but complete.Only one rear turn signal stalk broken,everything else complete.Plans:
1.Take off tank,wash it out.Put some gas in it, swish it around,empty it out.Put some more gas in.
2.Back out screws on carb float bowls,empty out.
3.Take out sparkplugs,replace if needed.Will replace permanently if motor is useable.
4.Put 1 tbsp of oil down each hole.let sit for 24 hours.
5.Buy a battery.Clean battery posts good, connect.
6.With plugs out and oil in holes for a day find crank and turn with a socket wrench a couple times.
7.If turns over, goes whoosh when turning over put plugs back in.Then hit starter button.
8.If all goes well, then get ready to pull carbs,clean,use rebuild kits,etc.Bench synch.
9.Use rotella t for first oil,change after bike has run for 2 hours, change again.
10.not sure what is best way to clean tank, but proceed forward and post pictures.
Owner of 79 cb650.Non running.Current bike 2004 heritage softail. Denton Texas

Folsoml

Re: cleaning a tank

Postby Folsoml » Thu May 19, 2016 4:52 am

You have a solid plan!. I would probably go ahead and pull the carbs and get them started on a good cleaning. After sitting for 12 years, they will no doubt need it. Everything else you said you would do before taking them off can still be done.

Here is a good thread with tank cleaning suggestions:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1411
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

cb650

Postby cb650 » Thu May 19, 2016 4:57 am

be careful turning it with a socket. even it is a big nut the advancer shaft it is on is small. where you located and what are your plans for the bike?
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

cruiserlover

Postby cruiserlover » Thu May 19, 2016 5:39 am

It has no title.bad.Bonded titles can be done.Vermont titles are a way around it.There site is interesting.It may become a parts bike.I found some with titles ,none in my area, that are pricey.States that are of course 1000 miles from me have the best deals.The bike looks horrible.Cosmetically it is a mess.Will have to be stripped and painted completely.once I know the engine and trans are good i will start doing that.But I found one 18 hours away that looks good, is cheap, and would require 36 hours driving time, but I may do it and use mine as a parts bike.They come in handy with these old bikes.The 650 has a following here, but not anywhere else.Not many aftermarket parts either.If I stick with this bike the goal is to have a bonestock fully restored bike. And thanks for a heads up on the socket tip.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Thu May 19, 2016 1:23 pm

You can avoid any risk if you turn it by the rotor bolt on the other side of the engine instead of the advance bolt.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

cruiserlover

Postby cruiserlover » Thu May 19, 2016 8:10 pm

Folsoml wrote:You can avoid any risk if you turn it by the rotor bolt on the other side of the engine instead of the advance bolt.

great tip.I sure did not know that.Thanks.

Return to “Technical Discussion”