what happened to old post about gm coils,etc

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

cruiserlover

what happened to old post about gm coils,etc

Postby cruiserlover » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:59 pm

I have 2 burned gooky cdi units for 2 cb650.s.Both were on same bike.Appears one burned,they got another, it burned.They cost 124 x 2 at rick's.My questions:
1.Who has 250 bucks to see if the short is fixed,not me.
2.The wiring from the plastic connector to the connection from the cdi shows the outer wrap was getting toasty.I suspect a direct short.perhaps the plastic connector is crap too.I was going to poll connectors apart there, see if something was melted, a pin was loose, whatever.
3.If its not the connector, I do not have the knowhow or confidence to unwrap an entire harness to see where the problem is.
4.The cavalier coils and hei units were a cheap way to remedy a bad cdi, it apears they were bought used at at junk yard.Those links here no longer work. What year cavalier.Autozone has 92-95 cavalier coils for only 21-35 bucks each.The hei units, which ones hook to the cav coils.Once they are connected,how do they get connected to the harness?
5.I was about to load my stuff up and take it to the dump.Give me a seized piston, broken rings,a busted cam,not electrical problems.I do so much want to see this through.I was stoked till I saw the black goo coming out of both cdi units.Input,instruction,constructive criticism appreciated.

I know the 650 isnt the coolest bike, and honestly my ultimate goal is a 750 supersport.But I wanted to get this bike going, as a matter of accomplishment,self satisfaction.
Owner of 79 cb650.Non running.Current bike 2004 heritage softail. Denton Texas

MiGhost

Re: what happened to old post about gm coils,etc

Postby MiGhost » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:54 pm

4th post from the top.
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info
82 CB650SC Brake Caliper Info

Stable
Wayward Son:1980 CB650C, RestoMod Period Custom Touring
Bad Moon: 1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim, Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing
Nemesis: 1983 XJ750K Maxim, Old School style chopper

cruiserlover

Postby cruiserlover » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:01 pm

MiGhost wrote:4th post from the top.

what 4th post? Every link in that 27 pages of posts has all nonworking links so far.I clicked on a lot of them.

MiGhost

Postby MiGhost » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:27 pm

I haven't been on the board for over a year, The format has changed, and likely killed the links.
~ Ghost

PD50 Carb Info
82 CB650SC Brake Caliper Info

Stable
Wayward Son:1980 CB650C, RestoMod Period Custom Touring
Bad Moon: 1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim, Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing
Nemesis: 1983 XJ750K Maxim, Old School style chopper

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:59 am

cruiserlover wrote:Every link in that 27 pages of posts has all nonworking links so far.I clicked on a lot of them.

I did a quick check: the external links to e.g. comcast.com and facebook do not work any more. Guess this is what you refer to?
However the internal hondacb650.com links still work. Sorry, this is all we can fix here.

It is beyond the admin/moderators job to search for inactive links and mark or remove them.
As in principle links can be just temporarily unavailable, such proceeding would be difficult anyway.

For me the fact is: Internet is really nice as long as it works but it is nothing to rely on.
I download the really interesting pages on my disk as a great link may be worth nothing any more the next day.

And the "veteranes" here probably still remember the preceding CB650 forum vanishing completely without warning and forever. :?
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

cruiserlover

Postby cruiserlover » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:32 am

Volker_P wrote:
cruiserlover wrote:Every link in that 27 pages of posts has all nonworking links so far.I clicked on a lot of them.

I did a quick check: the external links to e.g. comcast.com and facebook do not work any more. Guess this is what you refer to?
However the internal hondacb650.com links still work. Sorry, this is all we can fix here.

It is beyond the admin/moderators job to search for inactive links and mark or remove them.
As in principle links can be just temporarily unavailable, such proceeding would be difficult anyway.

For me the fact is: Internet is really nice as long as it works but it is nothing to rely on.
I download the really interesting pages on my disk as a great link may be worth nothing any more the next day.

And the "veteranes" here probably still remember the preceding CB650 forum vanishing completely without warning and forever. :?

any way you can send it to me, the one that works.I am clicking right here on this site.Nothing works for me.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:45 am

Sorry, I did not save the external Hei ignition stuff.
If even the internal links (= links to other pages of this forum) do not work for you, find someone to check out your browser settings. Nevertheless this won't fix the external links (= links to "somewhere" in the depths of the internet).
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

cruiserlover

Postby cruiserlover » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:23 am

Volker_P wrote:Sorry, I did not save the external Hei ignition stuff.
If even the internal links (= links to other pages of this forum) do not work for you, find someone to check out your browser settings. Nevertheless this won't fix the external links (= links to "somewhere" in the depths of the internet).

ok.thanks

Marcomotorbike

Postby Marcomotorbike » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:27 am

Did anyone ever try this GM HEI conversion for their cb650
I know that the old post has gone but is there a possibility someone who did the conversion can post it again
Thanks so much for your response as I would really like to try it on my 81 custom

cmouta

Postby cmouta » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:42 am

a little late but I think these are the links you are referring to:

http://www.geocities.ws/loudgpz/CBheiMod.html
http://www.geocities.ws/loudgpz/CBheiModCavCoil.html
Chris

1982 Candy Flair Blue Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
2006 Bajaj Chetak 4T with scooterworks usa sidecar
2013 Fiat 500C Abarth
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti T5 MT

Return to “Technical Discussion”