Tools needed for steeringhead bearing change?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Katatonia

Tools needed for steeringhead bearing change?

Postby Katatonia » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:31 am

Hi everyone,

Just acquired my old Honda CB650 about a month ago, but i just realized that i might need to have to change the steeringhead bearings. They are simple too worn in, an stiff when riding for me to feel safe.

What kind of tools should i need as a minimum. I do not want to go invest in all kinds of special "bearing" tools if i can avoid it. I'd rather spend my money on some multi purpose tools and then see if i can circumvent the rest.

I have a good set of socket wrenches, and the alround normal wrenches, allen keys, screwdrivers, hammers (not that i hope to need it) etc. but would there be anything special that i simply NEED to get?

Also, i have trouble finding information about what torque to tighten to front suspention, etc. with after i am done. I have the original manual and also the haynes manual but can't find it - am i just blind? or can anyone tell me the specifications?

All help is appreciated, looking forward to learning something about my bike, and hopefully be able to quickly change the bearings so i can get riding!

Cheers,
Morten

Shoestring-uk

Re: Tools needed for steeringhead bearing change?

Postby Shoestring-uk » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:52 am

hi, Download the Honda manual from http://manuals.sohc4.net/
In the meantime.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (129.99 KiB) Viewed 3945 times

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:38 am

There is also a manual here in the General Discussion Forum.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Katatonia

Postby Katatonia » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:11 pm

Cheers guys,

Very helpful. Hopefully things goes well tomorrow. I've allied me with my brother who works in a workshop and is used to working with machines etc.

Return to “Technical Discussion”