loud ticking/slapping sound (1979 cb650)

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

rappz7

loud ticking/slapping sound (1979 cb650)

Postby rappz7 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:50 pm

Ive got a pretty substantial tick/slapping noise going on in what sounds like the top/mid engine. Gets louder with acceleration and was there before the engine tear down. I adjusted the valves when rebuilding the top end and installed new exhaust header gaskets as well (maybe ruling out exhaust leaks, as i heard this may create a ticking sound). Although I didn't use stock exhaust studs but instead I used bolts as I had lost/damaged a few during the tear down. Could these maybe not be tightening those headers down tight enough? I tried adjusting the cam chain with the adjuster nut to no avail. I don't know if maybe the adjusters stuck, or perhaps my cam chain is stretched out, It seemed tight when i reinstalled it. Im lost here Ive been trying to figure this out for a while. Anybody with a little insight out there? All input is welcomed and appreciated. Also I noticed header pipes 1 and 3 were cool enough to touch while 2 and 4 were extremely hot.

tario

Re: loud ticking/slapping sound (1979 cb650)

Postby tario » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:41 pm

Hmm, maybe take a look at the valve adjustments. I assume you made sure the cam chain was in the proper location and lined up the cam-shaft with the engine at... ...is it 1.4T ?
1979 cb650
1980 cb650

Return to “Technical Discussion”