Spoked wheel swap on a British '81 650z RC03

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

ross_cheeks

Spoked wheel swap on a British '81 650z RC03

Postby ross_cheeks » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:56 pm

Hi guys, long time no speak, basically due to working commitments I've had to get someone else to build the cafe racer for me and it's looking amazing but after initially planning on using the comstar wheels with how good everything else is looking it needs spoke wheels to complete the look and that's where I seem to be banging my head against a wall looking for the best option for a swap. So basically what is the best option?

I have a dual disc set up on the front with a 19" wheel and a drum on the rear with a 18" wheel.

tario

Re: Spoked wheel swap on a British '81 650z RC03

Postby tario » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:53 pm

The easiest swap would be the wheels from the k model of this bike I think. I don't believe I've seen a dual disc spoked front though.(they are 17" and 19" here) Otherwise cb750 and cb550 wheels have the same size axle I believe. They would have the only 19" /18" dual disc setup that I know of. I seem to remember reading you can use your original axle and spacers or possibly make some spacers.

I got lucky on mine and found the K model wheels. Motosynthesis does make a comstar to spoke conversion kit but it's a little ugly and involves destroying your comstars. Seems cheaper/better/easier to buy some honda hubs off ebay, or whole wheels.

Hopefully this at least gives you something to google.
1979 cb650
1980 cb650

Return to “Technical Discussion”