Head gasket replacement

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Katatonia

Head gasket replacement

Postby Katatonia » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:45 am

Hi,

I have a rc03 which has a small leak around the head gasket. I want to replace it but I've been told consecutively that i should refrain from doing that as i am not a mechanic. I do however feel that it is a necessity. I've seen a guy on youtube remove the head on a 81 custom with the engine still on the frame, does any of you know if this is also possible to do with a rc03? I do not have the installments to be able to remove the engine.

Also, is there anything i need to be aware of / buy of parts, before i start apart from the general gaskets? Any small thingies inside i need to buy that i am not aware of? Any tips are welcome.

Cheers

tario

Re: Head gasket replacement

Postby tario » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:16 pm

From memory you need; the head gasket(factory honda head gasket is supposed to be the best quality), two o rings, 6 rubber discs/pucks

To do everything properly there is another gasket layer under the head. You could also hone your sleeves and redo your piston rings. Lap all your valves and redo the valve guides and valve seals. Rubber gaskets for the valve covers could easily be done later but if they come in a kit toss them on.

You might want to do your homework on replacing the engine bolts/studs. From what i understand they should always be replaced on any engine because of the heat the see. Lots of people don't replace them and it isn't a problem.

Make sure you line up the cam shaft with your 1.4 timing mark correctly when you reassemble. Use a bungee cord to keep tension on the cam chain so it stays hooked down in the engine. Having a friend to help you is a great idea. Use a torque wrench to reassemble to proper specs ...30 ft/lbs?
1979 cb650
1980 cb650

Return to “Technical Discussion”