Jetting carbs for air pods

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Nicholaskent54

Jetting carbs for air pods

Postby Nicholaskent54 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:16 pm

Hello! I have a 1980 honda cb650. I recently got it and it has air pods on it and I was told I would have to jet my carbs to make them run without the back pressure. Does anyone know any good jet kits I could get? I was told to get mukini jets, but I'm not sure exactly what I'll need to do it. If you can't tell this is my first time working on carbs so the more information the better!

tario

Re: Jetting carbs for air pods

Postby tario » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:25 pm

There is an article on a blog called chinonthetank that goes over rejetting a 1979 cb650. It says they used 120 mains and 42 slow jets. (on a 4 to 1 exhaust) You will likely need 3 sizes to try out, so a total of 24 jets. Look up the article I mentioned, there is more info there. IIRC a 4-2 or 4-4 exhaust will move less air and you need to go down a size or two. Keep your current jets in case you have to go back to them. It is possible to drill out some used jets if you can find them. The main jet is supposed to have a tapered hole though and I've heard drilling (a straight hole) can be unpredictable. Not to mention the soft brass can be overdrilled if you aren't careful. There are fancy precision bit sets that you can use, some time on google should shed some light on what you can/should look for.

The open nature of pods mean that the fuel mixture will be affected by any wind or turbulence around them. Some people have modified the original air box boots to make a straight path towards the carb. This straight pipe helps dampen turbulence. The general consensus is "don't use pods, they decrease reliability and performance unless you keep adjusting them."

Oh yes, It's often a good idea to leave the carbs on the rack and just take off the bowls and/or pull the valves out the top. Don't lose any parts. Aftermarket replacement carbs used to be $1200 when you could still buy them...
1979 cb650
1980 cb650

Nicholaskent54

Re: Jetting carbs for air pods

Postby Nicholaskent54 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:33 am

So I drilled out the factory jets and it is running great now. Just in time for summer. Thank you all for the help.

Return to “Technical Discussion”