starting Issues

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

tstruth

starting Issues

Postby tstruth » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:23 pm

Hello all,

I have recently changed the gaskets on my 81 cb50. I set the timing per instructions in the manual and from others on this site. Installed cylinder head cover slowly without having to mess with the valve settings seeing that the bike ran great before, I had an issue with oil dripping down the fins. Installed plugs, carbs, and tank. The bike will not start. I have spark and gas in bowls. Any ideas out there?

cb650

Re: starting Issues

Postby cb650 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:33 am

did you rake the cyls off? replace rings? actually backing off the valves makes the cam cover easier to install and less chance of striping a bolt.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

AndrewCB650

Postby AndrewCB650 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:50 am

when you set the timing, which index mark did you use? It should be set at the 1-4 F S mark, if it's right then you might want to check the valve clearance. Honestly, I found it impossible to install the cylinder head cover without backing off the tappets on the rocker arms, you might just need a valve adjustment. Let us know how it goes.

tstruth

Postby tstruth » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:51 pm

Thanks for the reply guys. I see that it was set at the wrong timing mark. I didn't realize that there where two of them. When putting it back together the number 19 bolt snapped. I was lucky to get it out before she separated. Need to find one of those. I was going to change out the bolts but they look good. Next time I will do so. Do they sell one bolt? all the rest are torked and ready for number 19. So close to firing her up. I was going to back off the valves but I was a little hesitant seeing this was my first engine breakdown.

tario

Postby tario » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:29 am

If I remember correctly most bolts are used in more than one spot. If you can find one of the pairs to that you should be able to take it to a fastener place and buy a replacement. I'd think any matching hardware store bolt should work for covers fine. If it's a head bolt I'd be more concerned about the rating and grade of hardware.

I'm not sure exactly what bolt you're referring to so it could be a valve cover bolt or something. Those you'd likely have to get on ebay or at a honda dealer. You'd have to ask for yourself what they sell.
1979 cb650
1980 cb650

Return to “Technical Discussion”