Cam problems

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Nicholaskent54

Cam problems

Postby Nicholaskent54 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:56 am

Hello! I have a 1980 honda cb650. I am changing the head gasket on my bike and I've ran into a problem. I cannot get the sprocket onto the shoulder of the cam. I have tried prying it with a couple screw drivers and I don't have enough slack to get it on. So I have the head back off and I'm trying to loosen the tensioner. Does the whole tensioner pull up slightly? I have the top bolt out and the bottem bolt as loose as I can get it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Folsoml

Re: Cam problems

Postby Folsoml » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:21 pm

By taking the bolts off the cam tensioner, you are actually making the cam tensioner APPLY pressure to the cam chain. Loosen the bolts, and carefully slide something like a long screwdriver between the chain and the tensioner. Push the tensioner back as far away from the chain as you can get it. Hold it in that position and tighten the bolts. Now your chain should be loose.

BTW: If you had the tensioner out of the engine, it may not be seated correctly. It is very easy for this to happen. The only way to make sure it is correct is to take off the oil pan and visually make sure it is in the right place. Check out this thread:

http://www.hondacb650.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=74
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Nicholaskent54

Postby Nicholaskent54 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:07 pm

That did the trick! I took a screw driver and got as much seperation as I could, then took anther to pull it up onto the shoulder. I had to take it off because at first I didn't have everything lined up... but second times the charm and it is all back together now. Just going to do valve clearances tomorrow and I'll be riding in no time!

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:33 pm

Excellent!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Nicholaskent54

Postby Nicholaskent54 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:05 pm

Okay new problem. I can't adjust the valve clearance on some. I can't adjust because the cam is too high to allow for adjustment. I can not adjust the following:
Cyl 1 in
Cyl 2 in
Cyl 3 ex
I keep thinking I messed up on the cam chain adjustment but everything looks good. Cam is lined up with the right side of the body. The sprocket is horizontal. And the engine is at T1.4. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Mon May 01, 2017 10:23 pm

Nicholaskent54 wrote:Cam is lined up with the right side of the body. The sprocket is horizontal. And the engine is at T1.4. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you just putting the cam in this position and then trying to check all the valves? You have to rotate the cam one full turn during the process.

Check out the manual in this thread:

http://www.hondacb650.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9850

On page 12 it outlines the procedure for checking the valves.

Return to “Technical Discussion”