82 cb650 struggling to start run or ride.

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

edmundphilhower

82 cb650 struggling to start run or ride.

Postby edmundphilhower » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:21 pm

So i picked up a cheap night hawk. It had the stock 4 pipes til i bought a parts bike that had the 4-2 slip-ons. I rode it once on a day about 60 degrees, got almost home and it started losing power and quit. Let it sit for a few minutes , fired it back up and rode home with out a problem. I attempted to ride it today and it falls on its face when i twist the throttle. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!Image

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Folsoml

Re: 82 cb650 struggling to start run or ride.

Postby Folsoml » Mon May 01, 2017 12:15 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Did you clean out the fuel tank and carbs when you got it? Some crud that was in the tank may have made it's way into your carbs, and may now be blocking passages. How is your charging system? If it is not working properly, it can cause problems like you are having as well.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

edmundphilhower

Re: RE: Re: 82 cb650 struggling to start run or ride.

Postby edmundphilhower » Mon May 01, 2017 12:35 pm

Folsoml wrote:Welcome to the forum.

Did you clean out the fuel tank and carbs when you got it? Some crud that was in the tank may have made it's way into your carbs, and may now be blocking passages. How is your charging system? If it is not working properly, it can cause problems like you are having as well.

Ive taken the carbs apart and thoroughly cleaned them. It rqn and rode fine until i swapped the pipes. Could this really be a jetting issue?

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Mon May 01, 2017 11:49 pm

How does the tank look?

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

edmundphilhower

Re: RE: Re: 82 cb650 struggling to start run or ride.

Postby edmundphilhower » Tue May 02, 2017 6:45 am

Folsoml wrote:How does the tank look?

The tank has been lined, not saying theres not gunk in there but it looks good. I got it running . but it still seems under powered like its not getting enough fuel.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue May 02, 2017 2:26 pm

The CV carbs should compensate for a change in exhaust, so re-jetting should not be an issue. You say the carbs were thoroughly cleaned: What is the process you used? Here is a link to a carb cleaning manual. The carbs will not be exactly like yours, but the processes are the same:

http://www.cb750c.com/publicdocs/SeanG/ ... l_revG.pdf

Return to “Technical Discussion”