Clutch safety switch

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

CanCB650

Clutch safety switch

Postby CanCB650 » Thu May 11, 2017 6:22 pm

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble with my clutch safety switch.. I need to get this issue sorted out to pass the safety inspection.

Currently, when the bike it turned on the neutral light stays on permanently and the bike is able to be started without having the clutch pulled in. So I gather that something is being bypassed somewhere to allow the bike to turn on like this. Any information on how this can be fixed would be extremely appreciated.

edit: i should add that the oil light stays on as well. I checked and the oil sensor is connected.

cb650

Re: Clutch safety switch

Postby cb650 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:53 am

the neutral switch and oil press switch are both under the left side cover. Sounds like there might be a issue there or a pinched wire.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

CanCB650

Postby CanCB650 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:40 am

cb650 wrote:the neutral switch and oil press switch are both under the left side cover. Sounds like there might be a issue there or a pinched wire.

I took a look under there and the connections there appeared to be clean and not corroded. I'm thinking something was bypassed at some point avoid the clutch safety switch. I'm terrible with electrical issues and having trouble tracing it back to where that would be.

CanCB650

Postby CanCB650 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:54 am

Is it possible something could be crossed in the connection at the Starter Solenoid?

cb650

Postby cb650 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:04 pm

anything is possible. there is a neutral safety switch also. if your neutral lite is staying on that is likely your problem.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Fri May 12, 2017 12:55 pm

CanCB650 wrote:I took a look under there and the connections there appeared to be clean and not corroded. I'm thinking something was bypassed at some point avoid the clutch safety switch. I'm terrible with electrical issues and having trouble tracing it back to where that would be.

The way those switches work is by grounding. So if if bike is NOT in neutral and the oil pressure is NOT low, they are open circuits. Whenever you put the bike in neutral, it gets grounded and the light comes on. What this means is that if anywhere along the circuit it gets grounded, the light will come on. The connections can look perfectly clean because it is grounding somewhere else.

Check the wires in the area when they come out from under the oil pump cover. I think you will find that they have pinched and the insulation has come off--allowing them to make contact with ground.

CanCB650 wrote:Is it possible something could be crossed in the connection at the Starter Solenoid?

BTW: If you have an aftermarket solenoid, it wires differently than an OEM one, but it would not cause this issue.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

CanCB650

Postby CanCB650 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Folsoml wrote:
CanCB650 wrote:I took a look under there and the connections there appeared to be clean and not corroded. I'm thinking something was bypassed at some point avoid the clutch safety switch. I'm terrible with electrical issues and having trouble tracing it back to where that would be.

The way those switches work is by grounding. So if if bike is NOT in neutral and the oil pressure is NOT low, they are open circuits. Whenever you put the bike in neutral, it gets grounded and the light comes on. What this means is that if anywhere along the circuit it gets grounded, the light will come on. The connections can look perfectly clean because it is grounding somewhere else.

Check the wires in the area when they come out from under the oil pump cover. I think you will find that they have pinched and the insulation has come off--allowing them to make contact with ground.

CanCB650 wrote:Is it possible something could be crossed in the connection at the Starter Solenoid?

BTW: If you have an aftermarket solenoid, it wires differently than an OEM one, but it would not cause this issue.

Thank you Folsoml, I will check that out this evening and hopefully can find the grounding point.

Return to “Technical Discussion”