Charging issue

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Boothlh

Charging issue

Postby Boothlh » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:40 am

So this is going to be my first post. I just adopted my dads 1980 cb650 that hasn't run in a quite a while. It had charging problems and that's why it's been sitting for the past few years. I've never really had much experience with electrical systems so if I ask some stupid questions go easy.
I checked the OHMs on the slip rings on the rotor and it was outside of the accepted range that I found on a flow chart, the only issue is that it was lower than the range ( I believe it was 2 something but I don't exactly remember) all the posts I have read say people are having problems with the OHMs being to high between the two slip rings . I just wanted to know if this is the source of my problem or if I need to keep looking. Any help or advice as to what my next step should be will be appreciated.

Folsoml

Re: Charging issue

Postby Folsoml » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:43 am

Welcome to posting!

Before you count out this rotor, make sure your multimeter leads are making good contact. I usually will clean the rings with 400 grit sandpaper. This will remove the black layer and make sure you are getting good contact. If you've done this, and you are only getting 2 ohms, then that rotor is bad. if you have to order another rotor (or get this one re-wound), you can almost certainly count on needing a new regulator/rectifier. The bad rotor will usually take this with it.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Boothlh

Postby Boothlh » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks for the reply! I was planning on getting some electrical cleaner and some sand paper today. Is there a recommend site to get a rotor and possibly a regulator from?

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:30 am

I generally use ebay for things like that. I would not buy a used regulator, but there are aftermarket ones available. There used to be a guy named Tim Parrott who re-wound rotors. I got one from him several years ago and it worked great. I'm thinking he may no longer be in business though. If you buy a used rotor, make sure the ohms check out before you buy it (duh!).
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Return to “Technical Discussion”