Silly newb question. . . removing sparkplugs??

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

oregonandy

Silly newb question. . . removing sparkplugs??

Postby oregonandy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi. . . I've tried three different plug sockets and none of them fit in the available space to remove the inside plugs. . :( What tha... ?? I'm sure there's an easy answer for this. . . ?!

Thanks!

- Andy

totem12

Re: Silly newb question. . . removing sparkplugs??

Postby totem12 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:25 pm

andy, i'm not sure a "standard" spark plug socket will work...i used a regular deep socket to get to my plugs and i did not have the problem a lot have mentioned....but now i do not remember what size it was..so, can you check the wall thickness between your spark plug socket and a regular deep socket?? maybe that will help....ski

davesee

Postby davesee » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:32 am

to get mine out i had to find a thin walled stamp steel socket (like the ones that come with a bike's tool set). all the standard deep sockets were too thick to get to the plug.

Volker_P

Postby Volker_P » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:20 am

oregonandy wrote: I'm sure there's an easy answer for this. . . ?!

In fact the easy answer is that the socket comes with the bike original tools. One may throw away the rest of these tools as scrap, however the socket is fine. Obviously you don't have it. If you can't get the original or a similar one, maybe you can get a usual tube socket and cut it to get it ftting beneath the tank. Drill four holes in 90° close to the top so you can turn it by putting a screwdriver through these holes. Keep in mind that you need a gap in the order of the plug thread length. I made a spare socket that way myself.
But you also can try to make this tube socket yourself: Take an old plug and hammer a more or less fitting tube around it. You probably need to make cuts into the tube to get it fit tightly on the plug. Remove the plug and weld the cuts. Clear off possible inner welding seams until the plug fits again. There you have your socket! :)
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

cb650

Postby cb650 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:53 am

Yes the original plug tool is best if you use ngk's. Champion went to a 5/8's hex many years ago.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

oregonandy

Postby oregonandy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:34 pm

Just to follow-up on this and close the loop. . . yes, I looked EVERYWHERE for that cheap little 18mm tube socket. I found the same type of sockets at Lowes in the lawn mower repair section as well as at a local auto parts store but in neither case were they 18mm - they were 3/4 and 7/8 or something like that (one size on each side). Couldn't find them advertised anywhere on the internet so finally I broke down to buy the $23 motionpro 18mm socket... ACK! Thank God THAT one didn't fit either so I took it back as fast as I could while obeying traffic laws.

A friend recommended I look on the back of the lawn mower tube socket package and try to write directly to the company. I still might do that in order to try replacing the tube socket in the on-bike tool kit, but for shop use I took the advice post from a post I ran across somewhere else and ground down an 18mm deep socket. I used a Kobalt socket from Lowes which has a pretty darn thin wall (but not quite thin enough). I bolted it onto a carriage bolt w/washers, mounted it in a drill press and angle ground to taste. Worked like a charm. Then I had an extra plug socket that I never use so I took the rubber doohickey out and put in the new one.

Wow. . . finally. . . case closed! :)

- Andy

pae

Postby pae » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:30 pm

Plenty of other Honda one's fit. I bought one (ebay) from a CX500 and it does the job a treat. Seems most of the Honda's of similar vintage used the same tool.

Phil

Gunny

Postby Gunny » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:13 pm

I went to my local Honda dealer and they weren't able to get a OEM spark plug socket since Honda has discontinued the part. However, they were able to search for other Honda dealers who had them in stock. I went to Cycle World Rosedale's website and ordered one for $3.87 plus $10 shipping. The Honda part number is 89216-323-000.

Here's a link to their website:

http://www.cycleworldmaryland.com/

I ordered it yesterday and just spoke with them on the phone. They don't have the socket in stock, but they do have a source and expect to receive them Thursday. They asked that I call back tomorrow afternoon to verify that they are able to get them.

I'll post an update tomorrow afternoon.

davesee

Postby davesee » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:57 am

i got one from parts'n'more recently for 2.50$...looks like the tank might have to be levered up for 2 and 3, but it would work.

old gringo

Postby old gringo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:37 pm

I might have a spare OEM socket laying around
Laissez les bons temps rouler

pabs11

Postby pabs11 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:44 am

old gringo wrote:I might have a spare OEM socket laying around

Hi Old Gringo.

I would like to take that socket off your hands if you dont mind. If you are interested, please send me a msg, and we can hash out the details.

PS

This is for personal use, believe me, I do not run a personal business fixing bikes.

Thanks

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:25 am

I got a deep well 18mm socket from Advance Auto Parts and it works fine for CB650 spark plugs.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

pabs11

Postby pabs11 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:45 pm

I went out and bought a 18mm socket from Lordco, but its much too thick to fit in the inner two slots. I live in Vancouver BC and we dont have those stores.

Thanks

entropy

Postby entropy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:59 pm

Reposting this from another thread:

entropy wrote:Re the plugs:

If you don't have the Honda spark plug tool (from the tool bag), you may have to modify a socket to fit. There are a hundred threads on the internet on how to get these plugs out, where you can maybe find a socket, etc.

I, having no luck finding this no-longer-made Honda socket for less than a prince's ransom, went and bought the cheapest, crappiest (read: thinnest-walled) 3/8" drive 18 mm socket that I could find at my local store. I then spent a half hour with the bench grinder and a bucket of water, shortening and tapering the tail of the socket. Coupled with a universal joint, a short extension, and a scrap strip of rubber rolled and stuffed deep into the socket (to "grab" the tail end of the plug), I can remove all four plugs with ease.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Acoustoman

Postby Acoustoman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:43 pm

I did a similar thing to Entropy - bought an 18mm standard deep socket at the auto parts store, then ground it down with a bench grinder. A lot of grinding is required - cool it down with water, and don't burn your hands! BTW, it's not a silly question :)
I currently have: 1981 CB650C, 1973 CB500K; Next project: 1973 CB750K :-j

Return to “Technical Discussion”