Float bowl Needle Valves***FIXED***

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Hamman

Float bowl Needle Valves***FIXED***

Postby Hamman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:45 pm

Finally got my carbs all cleaned and put back together. Took all 4 carbs apart and replaced every o-ring etc... everything is awesome! BUT, I am not getting gas to the float bowls. I think I found the problem...sticking needle valves. I can pull the bowls, floats, valves and run gas into the fuel intake and gas comes pouring out of all 4 carbs..Now I have tried 2 different sets of needle valves. The old OEM ones I pulled out and newer ones from a generic rebuild kit. I have also used q-tips on a drill and some brass polish to clean up the seats. 4 damn times I have taken these bowls off :x I am thinking either the OEM valves are f'd and the new ones are too long and won't open allowing the fuel to flow into the bowls....i am thinking of getting the needle valves with the little hoop like the pic.. I can get the bike to start immediately on starter fluid but will die once out.. Thoughts..?? Thanks guys.

EDIT: FIXED SEE BELOW POST

images.jpg
images.jpg (5.2 KiB) Viewed 6467 times
Last edited by Hamman on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeorgeSweety

Re: Float bowl Needle Valves

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:43 am

Hi Hamman, a couple of questions if you don't mind. Are the carbs on the bike? Have you tried inserting thefloat needles into the brass tubes to check how easy they slide? it would probably be better to try it without the floats attached. I cannot see any single reason why 8 float needles (if I read it right?) should suddenly start sticking. Please don't laugh when I suggest this but when you say you used cotton buds with polish and a drill, I think that there is a possibility that you might have introduced a slight static charge in the brass tubes causing adhesion.

Hamman

Postby Hamman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:53 am

Hey George, no laughs here! Just want to get this damn thing figured out. So yes, I have tried it with both on and off the bike. I used the cotton swab on a very very low speed. Suppose it could have still built up a charge? I have tried installing the valves in the holders without the floats as well and all 4 move freely and fall out when flipped over....

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:32 am

Hi Hamman, do the floats move freely on the pins? Have you checked the float heights? I can't really see how all 8 needle valves you have tried won't allow fuel through at the same time, yet the fuel floods out with the bowls off. Any chance that there is polish residue inside the brass tubes where the rubber needle tips locate to shut off the fuel? causing the needles to stick once the floats push the needles up? About the only thing I could suggest is a good squirt of carb cleaner into the brass tubes and try lightly pressing the needles into the tubes to see if they stick under a bit of (very slight) pressure. I hope you fix this soon because I know it would drive me crazy if it was happening to my bike.

Hamman

Postby Hamman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:26 pm

Fixed....I think I earned dumb ass of the week!!!! Haha. FML. I had the floats upside down and the tang on the float was pushing down on the valve :| Yeah....All good now. Bike started immediately and runs great..Thanks for your time :D

GeorgeSweety

Re: Float bowl Needle Valves***FIXED***

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Excellent news Hamman :D , believe me, I've done dumber, so glad its worked out for you!

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:26 am

That's great news!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Hamman

Postby Hamman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:42 am

Yeah, thanks again guys for your time.

Return to “Technical Discussion”