Antigravity Battery Question

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

boogerwolf

Antigravity Battery Question

Postby boogerwolf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:32 am

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and new to bike ownership. Been riding trail bikes half my life but never a street bike. Picked up a decent 81 cb650 a few months back and have been tinckering with it with my daughter. We were both thinking about upgrading the stock battery with a 12v Antigravity 8 cell. We were hoping to hide the battery under the seat cowl (original...I know. Lol) However, we want to, first and foremost, only make safe changes to the bike.

Reading online about these batteries we are having a difficult time finding specific information about the rectifier/regulator that would be compatible with this battery. Their website states to upgrade the r/r to a solid state one. The current r/r is a Shindengen Sh236A-12 1.1
Will this be a suitable r/r for this battery?

I am sure some of you are like "don't change the battery" but we all have our reasons and my daughter is keen to having a cafe bike for college. Any reason to get her in the garage and hanging out with dad is a good one as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for any help or resources and sorry if this is a redudent post.

boogerwolf

Re: Antigravity Battery Question

Postby boogerwolf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:57 pm

Got a reply from the Antigravity website

If you have a solid state stator and also have a modern rectifier, just monitor the voltage of the battery, It shouldn't never go about 14.4-14.6 Volts and also never drop below 11.5 V. check the battery after some rides and see where the batteries Voltage is at. most older CB's pre 1980's have mechanical stator which can fail and cause the charging system to over charge the battery or let it over discharge both of which can damage our batteries

Good starting point.

Hamman

Postby Hamman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:15 am

Contact this guy. I built a CX500 a few months ago and did an antigravity 8 cell battery. It HAD to have the rectifier upgraded. It also had an older shindengen one but it would over charge a Li battery. Really easy to wire in but does cost a good amount of money. I'd contact him and see if his are compatible with the CB, hell he may even have one for the CB! Ive never looked into it.

http://www.roadstercycle.com

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:42 am

Anti gravity battery? :roll: Sounds like something out of Star Trek :lol: I had to Google it! Obviously its a sign of my age and I'm way, way behind the times :lol: The first link I clicked on in the UK, the price was :shock: £468 GB pounds, glad I'd never heard of them after that, even gladder that I don't actually need one :lol: To put things in perspective I paid £600 for my 82 650 Nighthawk and £625 for my 80 650 Custom.

boogerwolf

Postby boogerwolf » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:05 pm

Thanks Hamman. I actually dropped the bike off at a local shop that specializes in older japanese bikes. I fired it up yesterday to test the voltage of the new battery and one of the carbs spilled a bunch of gas, like an alarming amount.... I'm thinking it's a bad float or maybe my petcock. I am pretty sure these carbs weren't cleaned by the previous owner. When I looked closer at the carbs there is a bunch of dings on one of the inside bowls, which I am assuming is from someone tapping it with a wrench to unstick the float. Sean at the shop, said that it's super common to tape the carb like that and the bike needs to be ridden often. He suggested to clean um proper and replace the seals. I've never worked on carbs, to be honest would rather leave this part to the pros. Would hate to mess something up or worse create an unsafe bike. I asked him to look into my r/r and upgrade it too.

GeorgeSweety, seriously. I went to a chain battery store out here to get some answers about these batteries and the guy behind the counter looked at me like a twit and said "what is that? never heard of those before. Did you say Antigravity? Like they float?" I was thinking, "oh hell what kinda rabbit hole did I fall into with these batteries..." So happens there was a pretty lady standing behind me as well, which I'm sure was his time to shine in the battery store...Don't poke a bear in his own cave... Needless to say, I left there with my tail between the legs and flushed cheeks...

Here's a pic of the current status of the bike. The battery is behind the cowl, original I know...
[img]
FullSizeRender.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 4937 times

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:47 am

That's a nice looking bike boogerwolf :) I use the plastic handle of a screwdriver to tap the bowls, it doesn't mark the castings. Hope you get it sorted before the Winter sets in.

Return to “Technical Discussion”