Myers' thread. Removing Carbs

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

myers

Myers' thread. Removing Carbs

Postby myers » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:12 am

the struggle is real!
I can't get mine off. Any tips for removing them?
Thanks for the tips for putting them back on though.

Folsoml

Re: Myers' thread. Removing Carbs

Postby Folsoml » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:34 am

I split this into it's own thread. That way there is no confusion as to what question is being answered.

To remove the carbs, I take wooden dowel like a shovel handle or something similar. I will carefully use this to pry the carbs loose from the insulators. When I say carefully, I mean I work my way around them bumping the dowel lightly with the heel of my hand. It may help if you use a hairdryer or heat gun to warm up the insulators.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

GeorgeSweety

Re: Myers' thread. Removing Carbs

Postby GeorgeSweety » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:32 pm

This is the Ratchet Strap method Image

use the strap to pull the airbox back into the frame, you gain an inch and a half extra room to play with. This picture is actually one of my bikes and not something stolen from the net although I have put it up on another site before.

I forgot to mention that before you do anything you need to undo the screw on the metal strap that holds the two halves of the airbox together, located behind the right side panel. This needs to be done so that the airbox halves have some movement, the airbox chamber is bolted to the frame but the box that connects to the carbs is held by the strap and the airbox rubbers so is moveable. When the carbs and airbox rubbers have been relocated you then need to re-tighten this strap screw. You will also need to check that the "rubber grommet" seal between the two airbox halves is correctly in place, easiest way is to unbolt the plate that holds the rectifier to the battery box (under left side panel), don't disconnect anything, should be enough room to see all is in order. After enough practice you'll be able to remove these carbs in your sleep.................and that is what Nightmares are made of :twisted:

Return to “Technical Discussion”