brake kit oil seals are a bit too big. are they supposed to be?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

juntjoo

brake kit oil seals are a bit too big. are they supposed to be?

Postby juntjoo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:14 pm

https://imgur.com/a/ZXpUP

see? and pushing them in...

https://imgur.com/a/aVq1g

you can see there's a bit more to stuff in there and I wasnt able to and am wondering if these are for calipers JUST a little smaller because it(the ad) said specifically they're for my 82 bike and the boots are almost identical, just not these oil seals and the skinnier ones that sit at the edge. they can't fit in either. Seems the answer is obvious but I'm thinking someone might tell me I need to force them in somehow and that after time they will conform. idk
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Re: brake kit oil seals are a bit too big. are they supposed to be?

Postby Folsoml » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Is one of them the one that came out of it? It doesn't fit either?
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:31 pm

Folsoml wrote:Is one of them the one that came out of it? It doesn't fit either?

no, the dirty one that looks almost in fits perfect, obviously, and the other would have to be forced somehow IF possible. i dont think so. im thinking with my model being a bit rare there may have been another slightly different set of calipers for this year or another where they're grouped together. idk. ive put them back in the package foe returning. Can't see how they'd fit, but I've only rebuilt brakes a couple times before years ago on cars.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:26 pm

never mind. I had set my ebay profile with an 82 cb650, which apparently isn't an 82 nighthawk(cb650sc) which is whqt I have. what does that mean? special :D somehow?
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:15 pm

Did the one you bought have a part number? OEM ones are still available from Honda.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda ... 0ed97ddbb5

Edit: I see now that you had your Ebay profile set wrong, and got regular CB650 seals.

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:43 pm

Folsoml wrote:Did the one you bought have a part number? OEM ones are still available from Honda.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda ... 0ed97ddbb5

Edit: I see now that you had your Ebay profile set wrong, and got regular CB650 seals.

thanks. my pistons are 26mm and the seals are 33mm. the kits I got off ebay even with the the correct profile for my bike they sent me a different kit specifically I assume for my bike but it still came with seals too big. the kit was the same basically. the vendor hasn't gotten back to me yet.

ive sent an email to partzilla to find out for sure if theyll fit but so far it's been a challenge. hopefully they're the right fit as they're nice and affordable. thanks
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:25 am

Do you have a Honda shop in your area? They probably have them as well--and then you can see them before you buy.

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:41 am

Folsoml wrote:Do you have a Honda shop in your area? They probably have them as well--and then you can see them before you buy.

its a bit far across the bridge and my car is on it's last wheel, hence(sorta) this bike. but that is where I'll go if I have to...
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:43 am

so these seals dont shrink over time and I just need to find a way to squeeze them in? I highly doubt that but I still wonder. I wasn't able to push them in the first time I posted a pic but perhaps they gotta be forced in? nah...
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:17 pm

"Yes - I know this caliper and it was made by Tokico which copied the Nissin for Honda. It's quite rare and causes the confusion.

I hope the bleed nipple is good and save this as it is important (It has a 7mm thread with 1mm pitch but the usual Tokico bleeds feel loose on the caliper thread)... "

from the ebay vendor brakecrafters. he said he'd put me together a custom kit so all taken care of. couple weird parts this bike has. lots of 'special' ness to it.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Return to “Technical Discussion”