no space between intake rocker arm and cam lobe to fit feeler gauge

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

juntjoo

no space between intake rocker arm and cam lobe to fit feeler gauge

Postby juntjoo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:46 pm

20180127_210632(1).jpg
20180127_210632(1).jpg (3.65 MiB) Viewed 7479 times
this is for piston #3. I was able to do #1 intake. I backed out the adjusting screw completely and just properly bolted the cover on after backing out all adjusting screws. Everything looks great. What's wrong now?

Might I have over tightened the cover? I used a dial torque wrench. I did notice that before it got to 9 ft/lbs the it seemed to slip a little, hopefully not stripping but that's just probably moving past some dirt in the threads. But I stopped torqing shortly after. Ideas? Thanks
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo

Re: no space between intake rocker arm and cam lobe to fit feeler gauge

Postby juntjoo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:24 pm

well I just rotated the crankshaft fully once just for kicks and noticed the cam lobe didnt come back up this time lol. Does this mean I can proceed and repeat if need be for the rest of the procedure?
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:34 am

okay, It's all good. Idk what happened. I thought 1 and 3 were supposed to be aligned or something and somehow at least t I thought I was able to adjust #1 tappet successfully but I had to rotate it 360 to get at #3, finished whatever valves from there, rotated 360, did the last set. So in retrospect Im thinking I should recheck #1. I have to go back now anyway to fix an oil leak I caused. Well at least I'm that much closer to understanding how valves, sensitive mating surfaces and carburetors work. I just need to stop costing myself for my education. Anyway..
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:27 am

juntjoo wrote:well I just rotated the crankshaft fully once just for kicks and noticed the cam lobe didnt come back up this time lol. Does this mean I can proceed and repeat if need be for the rest of the procedure?

I was gonna mention that the cam lobe in your picture was not in the proper position to be checking the clearance.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:53 am

A good tip when you adjust those rocker arms is to rotate the engine to see if the camshaft is moving and also to move the lobe away so you should be able to use the feeler gauge. :wink:
Riding bikes? I ride where ever i want and whenever i want. :wink:

Online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com/

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:13 pm

Folsoml wrote:
juntjoo wrote:well I just rotated the crankshaft fully once just for kicks and noticed the cam lobe didnt come back up this time lol. Does this mean I can proceed and repeat if need be for the rest of the procedure?

I was gonna mention that the cam lobe in your picture was not in the proper position to be checking the clearance.

what do you mean by that? the timing mark says "1.4" and per the book it says to do intake for #3. I'm back now. Just put the cover(s) on. Notice in this pic I have it positioned a touch beyond tdc to show where it will fit. This can't be right. See this is what happened the first time. My timing marks tell you for which cylinders you're at, "1.4", or "2.3". I didn't notice this before. So this is concernin
20180205_190035(1).jpg
20180205_190035(1).jpg (527.4 KiB) Viewed 7447 times
g.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:14 pm

MEHall wrote:A good tip when you adjust those rocker arms is to rotate the engine to see if the camshaft is moving and also to move the lobe away so you should be able to use the feeler gauge. :wink:

hey, when ya get a chance pls check my prev post. thx
82" cb650 Nighthawk

cb650

Postby cb650 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:39 pm

as per the book 3 (and 2) is done at 2 diff rotations. In truth the Mark dont matter as long as your off the lobe.
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:24 pm

cb650 wrote:as per the book 3 (and 2) is done at 2 diff rotations. In truth the Mark dont matter as long as your off the lobe.

really?? Somehow I distrust that advice, from my experience small fractions of millimeters off can be disastrous.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:04 pm

okay, I refuse to spend another week at this. I demand this discrepancy to be reconciled by simply doing all adjustments with that 2mm advanced position keeping it all uniform. please pray for me...
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:23 am

no no, I got it. can't believe I did it like I described. I was confused about rotations of the cs per cycle and lobe position and how many TDC's to go through for a cycle... I believe I got it.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

cb650

Postby cb650 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:07 pm

juntjoo wrote:
cb650 wrote:as per the book 3 (and 2) is done at 2 diff rotations. In truth the Mark dont matter as long as your off the lobe.

really?? Somehow I distrust that advice, from my experience small fractions of millimeters off can be disastrous.

Distrust all you want. I"m a moron just trying to steer you wrong.

BTW I have owned one from 83 and have several now but dont know what Im talking about LOL
Did you clean the tank out?!?!?!?!

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:42 am

cb650 wrote:
juntjoo wrote:

Distrust all you want. I"m a moron just trying to steer you wrong.

BTW I have owned one from 83 and have several now but dont know what Im talking about LOL

No it's just that I don't know enough to judge what you're telling me. But I can consider it and am still trying to figure out how it works and it seems to me the clearance specified is for where the lobe and tappet meet at tdc, that making that clearance any before or after would change the clearance at tdc, if you're adjusting somewhere else other than tdc. If a couple millimeters didn't matter then why bother with these feeler blades of such tiny thicknesses? But maybe I'm missing something, but I got it figured out so I could do it by the book. From a vid I saw I got the tip that bypasses all the guesswork from all the other tricks to find the right tdc: the guy said to just take the pass of the correct tdc(1.4 or 2.3) that has all your valves for this set all have clearance. When one doesn't, you just gotta go around again. That worked. Should have the first two times but I was just too confused how the cam and crank shafts related to each other. Anyway, thanks
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:22 am

jj, CB is correct about it doesn't have to be exact as the gap should be the same on the round part of the cam before it gets to the lobe. But considering your own proclaimed lack of experience with bikes, stick to the timing marks for peace of mind and one thing less to worry about.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:28 am

juntjoo wrote:

Take a look at this GIF of how a cam works. Notice that the cam is mostly round. Only on the lobe part does it have an affect on the tappet. The rest of the time, it is an equal distance away from the tappet. So if you check the clearance anywhere on the cam, as long as the lobe is off the tappet, the measurements should be the same.
Attachments
Nockenwelle_ani.gif
Nockenwelle_ani.gif (213.13 KiB) Viewed 7422 times
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Return to “Technical Discussion”