no space between intake rocker arm and cam lobe to fit feeler gauge

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

GeorgeSweety

Re: no space between intake rocker arm and cam lobe to fit feeler gauge

Postby GeorgeSweety » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:37 am

That is a great GIF Folsoml, I find it strangely hypnotic................................. :shock:

juntjoo

Re: no space between intake rocker arm and cam lobe to fit feeler gauge

Postby juntjoo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:38 am

Folsoml wrote:
juntjoo wrote:
cb650 wrote:as per the book 3 (and 2) is done at 2 diff rotations. In truth the Mark dont matter as long as your off the lobe.

really?? Somehow I distrust that advice, from my experience small fractions of millimeters off can be disastrous.

Take a look at this GIF of how a cam works. Notice that the cam is mostly round. Only on the lobe part does it have an affect on the tappet. The rest of the time, it is an equal distance away from the tappet. So if you check the clearance anywhere on the cam, as long as the lobe is off the tappet, the measurements should be the same.

hmm... that's a nice gif in having trouble arguing with. I wish I'd seen that before. Why then the conspiracy to have us all thinking that we need to be at magic spots so hard to find that probably cause more errors than not. I now in hindsight prefer the method I read (here or sohc.net) of just turning the cs til the subject valve is closed, or just follow however the logic of what you guys have explained here.

okay, so if you screw things up with this the worst you could do is adjust it while on any of the elevated lobe giving you too much clearance and less total action on the valve not opening fully right? I just want to know if my erroneous attempts may have caused any damage.

I'm gonna do this one last time tho now that I better understand it, or just do a quick check, but without bothering with that tdc confusion.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Return to “Technical Discussion”