Really did it this time. oil leak from scratching mating surface

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

juntjoo

Really did it this time. oil leak from scratching mating surface

Postby juntjoo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:55 pm

20180127_234000(1).jpg
20180127_234000(1).jpg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 6493 times
good news is I got this new(used, 1st bike for me) started, sorta, but I discovered I now have an oil leak where previously pried between the cylinder head cover not knowing what I was doing(that there were bolts under the adjustment covers). It's very slight and I'm hoping with a new soft and chubby gasket it will solve the prob as I noticed the existing gasket seems pretty flat and hard. So maybe a new one will do the trick, but planning for a worst case scenario, is there a way to seal deep scratches like this? Some liquid gasket reinforcement? Is there a trick or must I get a whole new cylinder head and cover? ouch.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Re: Really did it this time. oil leak from scratching mating surface

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:06 am

Do you think that you are the only person in the World to do this? especially with your first bike? well you are not :lol: it is all part of the learning curve and you know now that you will never do it again :oops:
It depends how deep the scratch is, you should be using a new gasket anyway and if the scratch isn't too bad then the gasket may fill it.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:45 am

This leak looks like it i likely to be coming from one of the 6 rubber pucks. See #12 in this diagram:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... inder-head

Did you replace those?
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:15 pm

GeorgeSweety wrote:Do you think that you are the only person in the World to do this? especially with your first bike? well you are not :lol: it is all part of the learning curve and you know now that you will never do it again :oops:
It depends how deep the scratch is, you should be using a new gasket anyway and if the scratch isn't too bad then the gasket may fill it.

thank you. I believe you are right. I'll be ordering a gasket. fortunately honda still carries and sells it, just the one gasket. I think that it wasn't actually the scratches from prying but simply bending the old hard gasket and it not returning back to form. getting close!
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:19 pm

Folsoml wrote:This leak looks like it i likely to be coming from one of the 6 rubber pucks. See #12 in this diagram:

Did you replace those?

no I haven't but why would you think this? I have two leaks on both sides at the end tips as shown right where I had pried too aggressively and made scratches. Please explain so I can include them in my order if need be. Thanks
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:12 am

juntjoo wrote:
Folsoml wrote:This leak looks like it i likely to be coming from one of the 6 rubber pucks. See #12 in this diagram:

Did you replace those?

no I haven't but why would you think this? I have two leaks on both sides at the end tips as shown right where I had pried too aggressively and made scratches. Please explain so I can include them in my order if need be. Thanks

If you have had the head off then all gaskets, o-rings and the rubber pucks should have been replaced. If you haven't taken the head off but there were obvious signs of an oil leak from the top end then with the relatively low cost of gaskets, o-rings and pucks and a couple of hours work it would be a good idea to change them. The rubber pucks and o-rings become compressed and harden over time causing them to fail.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:33 am

juntjoo wrote:

Did you replace those?

I could not tell from your picture that you could see the oil leaking from those places.

Before I thought about scrapping the head, I would definitely try a few things first. I'd start by taking the head back off and seeing if I could feel any burrs or gouges in the mating surfaces of the two parts. I'd then sand them with some fine sandpaper and see if I could smooth them out. Then I'd reassemble them using Hondabond liquid gasket along with the regular gasket.

With regards to the rubber pucks: They will almost certainly need replacing (for the reasons George mentioned above :D ).

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:37 pm

GeorgeSweety wrote:
juntjoo wrote:

Did you replace those?

If you have had the head off then all gaskets, o-rings and the rubber pucks should have been replaced. If you haven't taken the head off but there were obvious signs of an oil leak from the top end then with the relatively low cost of gaskets, o-rings and pucks and a couple of hours work it would be a good idea to change them. The rubber pucks and o-rings become compressed and harden over time causing them to fail.

thanks. I haven't taken the head off, just the cover. But what I'm confused about is what the purpose of those pucks are and where you'd find a leak from them.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:52 pm

Under the cylinder head cover, there are six places where the cylinder bolts are accessible. Those rubber pucks cover those holes.

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:58 pm

Folsoml wrote:Under the cylinder head cover, there are six places where the cylinder bolts are accessible. Those rubber pucks cover those holes.

thanks. I know where they are, I'm just confused as to their function. No biggie.

Edit: Id just woken up before replying, still a little foggy. Okay, yeah, I noticed that. I thought you(or someone) had noticed leaking from those areas, which now I wouldn't understand how but anyway
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:47 am

I did say that. I was confused about what part of the engine your picture was showing.

I don't fully understand what you are saying in your edit. Do you still not understand the purpose of the rubber pucks?

This is where you will see it leak when one or more of the pucks are bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYF7whPskOg&feature=youtu.be

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:30 pm

Folsoml wrote:I did say that. I was confused about what part of the engine your picture was showing.

I don't fully understand what you are saying in your edit. Do you still not understand the purpose of the rubber pucks?

no I figured it out after I removed one. Nice vids. Spent a few min on your channel. you're pretty good maneuvering that bigazz cruiser! and you play a pretty convincing ghost too lol.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:01 pm

juntjoo wrote:
Folsoml wrote:I did say that. I was confused about what part of the engine your picture was showing.

no I figured it out after I removed one. Nice vids. Spent a few min on your channel. you're pretty good maneuvering that bigazz cruiser! and you play a pretty convincing ghost too lol.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Technical Discussion”