why would pipes #1 & 3 be cool?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

User avatar
GeorgeSweety
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:47 am
Location: UK.

Re: why would pipes #1 & 3 be cool?

Postby GeorgeSweety » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:33 am

jj, I wasn't trying to have a pop at you and I apologize if I came across that way. I thought that you had got to a certain level and the problem in hand was to get your engine to fire on all four, which I believe you were on the verge of doing. Having established that you had fuel and compression, the problem "seemed to be" with your ignition and I thought the next goal was to try to fix that. But then you start tearing into your carbs again. Each time you backtrack with stuff that you have already been into increases the chances of something else being "out" the next time you try to start her up. Fix something once then leave it alone until all things are fixed, you need to get her running on all four first, even if it runs like an old washing machine :roll: then you can figure out how to make her run like a Swiss watch. The aim should be all four cylinders firing as a base line to start from.

juntjoo
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:19 pm

Re: why would pipes #1 & 3 be cool?

Postby juntjoo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:04 am

GeorgeSweety wrote:jj, I wasn't trying to have a pop at you and I apologize if I came across that way. I thought that you had got to a certain level and the problem in hand was to get your engine to fire on all four, which I believe you were on the verge of doing. Having established that you had fuel and compression, the problem "seemed to be" with your ignition and I thought the next goal was to try to fix that. But then you start tearing into your carbs again. Each time you backtrack with stuff that you have already been into increases the chances of something else being "out" the next time you try to start her up. Fix something once then leave it alone until all things are fixed, you need to get her running on all four first, even if it runs like an old washing machine :roll: then you can figure out how to make her run like a Swiss watch. The aim should be all four cylinders firing as a base line to start from.



oy vey. never mind. I talk too much. I know it. few words are hearr louder than many. I got all four firing. something else popped up right after. we're making progress. thank you and excuse me. ;)
82" cb650 Nighthawk

User avatar
GeorgeSweety
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:47 am
Location: UK.

Re: why would pipes #1 & 3 be cool?

Postby GeorgeSweety » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:17 am

juntjoo wrote:oy vey. never mind. I talk too much. I know it. few words are hearr louder than many. I got all four firing. something else popped up right after. we're making progress. thank you and excuse me. ;)


That's good news then, but how well is it running on all four? and I'm curious to know what the something else is? BTW, did you fix your carb insulator problem?

User avatar
Folsoml
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:02 pm
Location: North Florida

Re: why would pipes #1 & 3 be cool?

Postby Folsoml » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:52 am

Take a look at this thread when you have a chance:

viewtopic.php?t=5932

That was me and the first bike on which I ever worked. A man called Volker_P showed remarkable patience as he walked me through getting this thing up and running. There were times when I felt like quitting (and say so in the thread), but I merely stepped away for a short period of time to get my mind right again.

The way my particular flavor of OCD works is that I find a project, get it completed, and then start looking for another similar project to do better than the last one. Since completing the bike in the thread, I've worked on (in no particular order): 1981 CB900C, 2006 Suzuki DR200SE, 1994 BMW K1100LT, 1983 HD XLH Sportster, 1981.5 CB900C, 1973 Suzuki TS100. 1980 CB750C, 1980 GL1100 Goldwing, 1989 Suzuki Katana 750, 2 Suzuki JR50´s, 1981 Honda CB650, 1982 Honda CB900C, 1982 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim, 2001 Yamaha V-star, 1980 Yamaha 400, 198? Suzuki Madura, 1974 Triumph T140E, Yamaha PW50, 1984 VF500F Interceptor, 1980 Honda CB900C. You may note that the venerable CB900C makes several appearances on that list. I would have to say it is my overall favorite bike.

Sadly, although you may note that Volker_P is still shown as a moderator here, he has not made an appearance in some time. He had a serious crash a while back when someone made that infamous left-turn in front of him. I've not heard from him in a couple of years. I dare say that if he was here now, he would have figured out your problem by now :( .

That being said, I feel I owe it to Volker_P to help out as much as I can. Unfortunately, as you see on the list, my original bike is the only SOHC Honda on which I've worked, but there are many similarities between that bike and the DOHC's Hondas that I love so much.

And all THAT being said, when George and I warned against "chasing your tail," we were only trying to help. If you perform multiple adjustments without testing each one first, you may find that the bike runs "different," but you'll have no way of knowing which adjustment did what.

We are here to help, so ask any and all questions you may have, and we will do the best we can to address them.

Now then. Let's go back to the "torching" thing. What is that, and what do you hope to accomplish by doing it (besides the obvious answer of "make my bike run right.")

Edit: PS: If I had to do that original CB650 again knowing what I know now, I would NOT! I'd sell it as scrap metal
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!


My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

User avatar
GeorgeSweety
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:47 am
Location: UK.

Re: why would pipes #1 & 3 be cool?

Postby GeorgeSweety » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:54 am

:shock: Scrap metal indeed!!!!............yep! totally agree :lol: Good post Folsoml and Volker_P certainly knew his stuff, I never actually spoke (typed) to the guy in person but I've spent an awful lot of time reading old threads on here, I hope he is ok in whatever he does now.
I think there is a certain eagerness in everyone to get that first project up and running, even when you do things that you are unsure of, but you do them anyway in the hope that it will bring about the desired result even quicker :wink:
After working on several other bikes before my Honda, I have now learned the hard way, that "this bike isn't going to run any quicker by rushing into it" :roll: So my Honda has taken eleven months to get roadworthy, which is by far the longest amount of time I have ever spent on any kind of machine and the thing is, I'm still not happy with it yet :x It is at, what I would call a good starting point, to get it right so that I no longer even have to contemplate working on it :D

juntjoo
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:19 pm

Re: why would pipes #1 & 3 be cool?

Postby juntjoo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:16 pm

GeorgeSweety wrote:
juntjoo wrote:oy vey. never mind. I talk too much. I know it. few words are hearr louder than many. I got all four firing. something else popped up right after. we're making progress. thank you and excuse me. ;)


That's good news then, but how well is it running on all four? and I'm curious to know what the something else is? BTW, did you fix your carb insulator problem?


I believe so as I did a quick spray check, but quick, so I'll do another once I get it going again.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:19 pm

Re: why would pipes #1 & 3 be cool?

Postby juntjoo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:34 pm

Folsoml wrote:Take a look at this thread when you have a chance:

http://hondacb650.com/viewtopic.php?t=5932

That was me and the first bike on which I ever worked. A man called Volker_P showed remarkable patience as he walked me through getting this thing up and running. There were times when I felt like quitting (and say so in the thread), but I merely stepped away for a short period of time to get my mind right again.

The way my particular flavor of OCD works is that I find a project, get it completed, and then start looking for another similar project to do better than the last one. Since completing the bike in the thread, I've worked on (in no particular order): 1981 CB900C, 2006 Suzuki DR200SE, 1994 BMW K1100LT, 1983 HD XLH Sportster, 1981.5 CB900C, 1973 Suzuki TS100. 1980 CB750C, 1980 GL1100 Goldwing, 1989 Suzuki Katana 750, 2 Suzuki JR50´s, 1981 Honda CB650, 1982 Honda CB900C, 1982 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim, 2001 Yamaha V-star, 1980 Yamaha 400, 198? Suzuki Madura, 1974 Triumph T140E, Yamaha PW50, 1984 VF500F Interceptor, 1980 Honda CB900C. You may note that the venerable CB900C makes several appearances on that list. I would have to say it is my overall favorite bike.

Sadly, although you may note that Volker_P is still shown as a moderator here, he has not made an appearance in some time. He had a serious crash a while back when someone made that infamous left-turn in front of him. I've not heard from him in a couple of years. I dare say that if he was here now, he would have figured out your problem by now :( .

That being said, I feel I owe it to Volker_P to help out as much as I can. Unfortunately, as you see on the list, my original bike is the only SOHC Honda on which I've worked, but there are many similarities between that bike and the DOHC's Hondas that I love so much.

And all THAT being said, when George and I warned against "chasing your tail," we were only trying to help. If you perform multiple adjustments without testing each one first, you may find that the bike runs "different," but you'll have no way of knowing which adjustment did what.

We are here to help, so ask any and all questions you may have, and we will do the best we can to address them.

Now then. Let's go back to the "torching" thing. What is that, and what do you hope to accomplish by doing it (besides the obvious answer of "make my bike run right.")

Edit: PS: If I had to do that original CB650 again knowing what I know now, I would NOT! I'd sell it as scrap metal


thanks! you've got yourself some experience. I will give that thread a look. I've read so many threads in here and elsewhere, they're like little murder mysteries. I just hate how a lot of times the authors abandon them without revealing 'who dun it'.

I hope that Volker is still with us(on earth) :(. Maybe the crash scared him away from bikes. I'll definitely be vautious out there. Even driving when I approach intersections slowly.

I torched the brass jets to clean them, and those of cyljnders 1&3, the bad ones were particularly smokey suggesting possibly that was the clog preventing sufficient fuel flow. But now I'm wondering if somehow, via torching or otherwise swapping out the brass jets with these brand new aftermarket ones will fix my current too MUCH fuel I'm guessing what this high idle/auto revving problem is about. Should get to today/tonight EST.

And I got you guys about one at a time. you're meticulous through experience. I'm still rough dumb and impatient. getting there!
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:19 pm

Re: why would pipes #1 & 3 be cool?

Postby juntjoo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:38 pm

so you guys don't like the cb650 81? mine is an 82 cb650SC. Hopefully that year they took care of what wasn't so popular the year before :?
Last edited by juntjoo on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

User avatar
GeorgeSweety
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:47 am
Location: UK.

Re: why would pipes #1 & 3 be cool?

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:20 am

juntjoo wrote:so you guys don't mind the cb650 81? mine is an 82 cb650SC. Hopefully that year they took care of what wasn't so popular the year before :?


jj, same engines mate :lol: My CB650 Custom is a 1980 with slide carbs, my Nighthawk is the same year as yours, with the CV carbs, the only real difference being the cylinder head inlet spacing. I think the main problems with these bikes (any old bike really) are what the PO's did in the way of repairs, to get them running right you have to track down everything the PO bodged and put it right.

User avatar
Folsoml
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:02 pm
Location: North Florida

Re: why would pipes #1 & 3 be cool?

Postby Folsoml » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:33 pm

GeorgeSweety wrote: I think the main problems with these bikes (any old bike really) are what the PO's did in the way of repairs, to get them running right you have to track down everything the PO bodged and put it right.


Truth!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!


My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

User avatar
Volker_P
Posts: 5326
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:53 am
Location: southern Germany

Re: why would pipes #1 & 3 be cool?

Postby Volker_P » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:20 am

Thank you guys for finding really nice words for me, sounds a bit like an obituary. Fortunately too early but thanks anyway. :D

So I just like to say that I am all right and there is no reason to worry.
I am completely off the motorcycle stuff since that crash and I do not look in here frequently any more.
I am sorry but I don't think this will change soon. Thanks to the find tool a few of my contributions may still be helpful today.
I am happy to see that this forum still exists and still is quite active and several people even remember me.
In particular Folsoml does a great job here for this forum, thanks a lot to him and all the others who contribute! :D

Have a good time and always come home healthy!
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

User avatar
GeorgeSweety
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:47 am
Location: UK.

Re: why would pipes #1 & 3 be cool?

Postby GeorgeSweety » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:38 am

Volker_P wrote:Thank you guys for finding really nice words for me, sounds a bit like an obituary. Fortunately too early but thanks anyway. :D

So I just like to say that I am all right and there is no reason to worry.
I am completely off the motorcycle stuff since that crash and I do not look in here frequently any more.
I am sorry but I don't think this will change soon. Thanks to the find tool a few of my contributions may still be helpful today.
I am happy to see that this forum still exists and still is quite active and several people even remember me.
In particular Folsoml does a great job here for this forum, thanks a lot to him and all the others who contribute! :D

Have a good time and always come home healthy!


Hi Volker_P, I'm sure that I speak for everyone here, past and present, it is so good to know that you are ok :D There are many on here that owe you a debt of gratitude for all of the help you have provided, myself included in that number. You may not be around anymore but your wise words are and hopefully will be as long as this site remains. Good Luck to you from us all.

User avatar
Folsoml
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:02 pm
Location: North Florida

Re: why would pipes #1 & 3 be cool?

Postby Folsoml » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:47 pm

Volker_P wrote:Thank you guys for finding really nice words for me, sounds a bit like an obituary. Fortunately too early but thanks anyway. :D

So I just like to say that I am all right and there is no reason to worry.
I am completely off the motorcycle stuff since that crash and I do not look in here frequently any more.
I am sorry but I don't think this will change soon. Thanks to the find tool a few of my contributions may still be helpful today.
I am happy to see that this forum still exists and still is quite active and several people even remember me.
In particular Folsoml does a great job here for this forum, thanks a lot to him and all the others who contribute! :D

Have a good time and always come home healthy!


Good to hear you are OK!
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!


My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,


Return to “Technical Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests