Go Kart wiring

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Masika

Go Kart wiring

Postby Masika » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:55 am

In 2016 a pick up turned left in front of me and totaled me and most of the bike. (79' cb650) the engine appears to be still in tact and id like to build one of those R1 go karts . So my question is, what are the bare necessity wires I need. I pretty much have the charging system down pack since ive replaced it all once before but what about the ignition and any other safety switches and relays that are in my birds nest? Can it be broke down to basically nothing? Anyone know? Thanks. also if anyone would like to purchase any other parts that may still be okay just ask and we can work something out. rear tire is a brand new pirelli demon 130/90-17

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/06/d6/74 ... 60ae63.jpg

Folsoml

Re: Go Kart wiring

Postby Folsoml » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:06 am

Sorry about your crash. I guess you came out mostly ok?

Here is a bare bones wiring diagram. It is for the DOHC Honda's of that era, but it will work on your bike as well.

genesound wrote:
This is the bare bones wiring diagram, just the minimum to make it run. Build this and add whatever else you want/need:

Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:23 pm

I can say that if you drive a CB 650 without using any electricity exept the ignition you can drive very far without the alternator working. :wink:
The only problem with not having any electricity is how to start the engine, but as an go cart engine you only need electricity at the pit stops to start the engine. Without the alternator working you still need a small battery to give ignition current. :wink:
I did see an Yamaha xt 500 once, that had a capacitor instead of a battery, but that I dont know how to install. :roll:

8)
Riding bikes? I ride where ever i want and whenever i want. :wink:

Online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com/

Masika

Postby Masika » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:33 am

no, im pretty sure the alternator/battery powers the igniters as well.

thanks for the diagram.

I broke 7 bones, all on my left side. im fine now except for permanent metal parts in me.

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:30 am

Masika wrote:no, im pretty sure the alternator/battery powers the igniters as well.

thanks for the diagram.

I broke 7 bones, all on my left side. im fine now except for permanent metal parts in me.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I've got metal too, throbs like hell when the weather changes. With regards to the electrics.............er! :roll:

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:06 am

GeorgeSweety wrote:
Masika wrote:no, im pretty sure the alternator/battery powers the igniters as well.

thanks for the diagram.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I've got metal too, throbs like hell when the weather changes. With regards to the electrics.............er! :roll:

My foot:

Not from a bike crash. I'm a life long martial artist and I've broken my toes so many times they got arthritic. They put in a plate so the big knuckle of my left toe no longer bends. It feels better now than my right foot--which needs the surgery as well.

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:40 pm

That sure is a big piece of metal for a toe bone. I got my left ankle crushed by a car pulling out of a side street, I was riding a bright red Kawasaki, with the headlights on, on a bright sunny day, and the car driver didn't see me, his actual words were "Sorry mate, I didn't see you!" :roll: I have three 3 inch screws holding the bones together and every bike that I have owned since I have had to lower the gear change lever as my foot doesn't move up as much as it should :(

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:11 pm

GeorgeSweety wrote: "Sorry mate, I didn't see you!" :roll:

Isn't that what they all say/ :roll: :x :roll: :x

MEHall

Postby MEHall » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:42 pm

Well in those boxes a car is we are practically invisible to them and at a distance the we are suerly somethig a car driver would disregard pretty easy. In many accidents here in Sweden between cars and bikes the driver says he thought it was a moped. As motorcyclists, we need to be more visible. :roll: :wink:

8)
Riding bikes? I ride where ever i want and whenever i want. :wink:

Online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com/

Masika

Postby Masika » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Since the engine is going to be so basic is will be easiest to use pod air filters, ive heard before this creates more air flow and the carbs will need jetted, if this is true what is this process or can I just put an extra sponge over the pod to reduce the air flow?

Masika

Postby Masika » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:03 am

I want to use my original Key switch to kind of pay tribute to my bike, I rode that beast for 16 years after all. coming off of it is a RED, BLACK, 2 BROWNS that are tied together in the harness and a BROWN/WHITE. so in that diagram you gave me i have tied RED straight to solenoid BLACK straight to rectifier and I know from using a ohm meter that when in the ON position it just a switch from BLACK to RED or the parking is a switch from RED to the 2 BROWNS but now if it was a normal set up you need a push button to start. so do I need to tie a push button between 2 of the browns or what else needs done here? Thanks

Masika

Postby Masika » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:31 pm

BUMP.... ANYONE? ive got a Lincoln with your name on it!

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:43 pm

If you look at the diagram above, in the center of the "Universal Key Switch" there is a red and white wire coming from the center of the switch from a point marked "SRT". This is where the starter button would be. You will not find this red and white wire coming from your ignition switch. It comes from the starter button and goes to the starter solenoid. The black wire coming from your key switch goes to the starter button as well. When you push the starter button, it closes the circuit between the black wire coming from the key switch and the red and white wire coming from the starter solenoid. This is what makes the starter motor function.

Masika

Postby Masika » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:46 pm

there are 4 wires coming from the solenoid, solid black, solid red, red/white and a yellow/orange. its hard to tell the 2 apart on that diagram but on my bike before anything was taken apart the red/white wire went to the R&R so using that info I sent the yellow/orange to the "switch" which would mean putting a push button between the yellow/orange and the solid black. If not and the red/white needs a switch to the black then where does the yellow/orange go?

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 pm

There should be six wires--if you are counting the solid black the goes to the starter motor and solid red that goes to the battery.

Return to “Technical Discussion”