question about spark plug, cap, and wires replacement

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

juntjoo

question about spark plug, cap, and wires replacement

Postby juntjoo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:16 pm

well bike isn't starting after replacing brass jets, if you've read my other thread, so next I'm going to start with spark plugs caps and wires even though I can still confirm spark but from what I've read although you may visually detect it it might not be strong enough. So... . Never bought these for any vehicle actually and learned that they are specifically made for each vehicle but I wonder if I could just grab any set from the local auto parts place for a vehicle that has them long enough and to fit compatible plugs so I can just cut them down to size? yay? nay? Thanks
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Re: question about spark plug, cap, and wires replacement

Postby Folsoml » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:28 pm

Before you buy new ones, try clipping about 1/4 of an inch off both ends of the plug wires. Sometimes the ends get corroded inside the insulation. Clipping them gets fresh new wire on the contact ends. If you want to buy new wires, you can buy 7mm wire (the size you need) in bulk from most auto parts stores.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

juntjoo

Re: question about spark plug, cap, and wires replacement

Postby juntjoo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:30 pm

Folsoml wrote:Before you buy new ones, try clipping about 1/4 of an inch off both ends of the plug wires. Sometimes the ends get corroded inside the insulation. Clipping them gets fresh new wire on the contact ends. If you want to buy new wires, you can buy 7mm wire (the size you need) in bulk from most auto parts stores.

thanks fols, already did that before. okay, great. Ill look in a bit. oreillys around the corner told me per vehicle, so maybe autozone/advance auto...
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Return to “Technical Discussion”