how on earth are you supposed access #3 sync screw??

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

juntjoo

how on earth are you supposed access #3 sync screw??

Postby juntjoo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:25 am

hidden #3 sync screw https://imgur.com/a/UJarI

I can't even get a regular 8mm wrench in there and if I could there's no way I'll be able to maneuver my fingers through that with a philips head for the screw at the same time. How did this question not have any results in google? And if it was going to be this difficult why did I buy this sync screw/nut driver? Hopefully one of you will pat me on my back in sympathy and offer me the simple obvious solution I cannot see... :D
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Re: how on earth are you supposed access #3 sync screw??

Postby GeorgeSweety » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:45 am

Can't you get at it with the tank off?

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:31 am

GeorgeSweety wrote:Can't you get at it with the tank off?

not at all! there is barely clearance above it to fit a socket just to loosen it. I can't believe I can't find anything on this
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:44 am

Unfortunately I can't be much help in this case as the top end is off my Nighthawk and my Custom has slide carbs. All I can do (when I get time to get in the shed) is prop my carbs up on my engine, roughly in the correct position and see how bad the access is :?

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:35 am

GeorgeSweety wrote:Unfortunately I can't be much help in this case as the top end is off my Nighthawk and my Custom has slide carbs. All I can do (when I get time to get in the shed) is prop my carbs up on my engine, roughly in the correct position and see how bad the access is :?

well thanks anyway. hopefully someone will chime in. I'll keep playing with, see what I can do. So far I cant imagine how. Sure wish I could find a vid of someone doing it with these carbs. there's definitely plenty of them out there, geez, since the last 40 yrs or something.
82" cb650 Nighthawk

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:40 pm

i got it. you may CAN'T adjust the screw while the bike is running, so you gotta stop the bike, twist the throttle to bring the screw within reach, make your adjustment a bit to the left so when you tighten right it balances out, cross fingers, check again. Pain in the butt but once done, done
82" cb650 Nighthawk

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:01 am

Good for you jj, unfortunately I was too busy to get anywhere near my shed yesterday.

Return to “Technical Discussion”