how to connect my battery charger alligator clips to battery without removing seat?

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

juntjoo

how to connect my battery charger alligator clips to battery without removing seat?

Postby juntjoo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:26 am

so I've recently learned how I'm going to need to "tender" my battery. although I don't have one of those tenders or maintainers, I have a trickle charger I think should suffice. I just need an easy way to connect. there are quick connect cables for connecting specifically to maintainers with their specific connectors but I need to furnish something for the red alligator clip to connect to (black one can go on frame). So I thinking running some 12-16g wire from the +terminal to somewhere convenient with something to serve as like a battery terminal, maybe just a bolt or small battery terminal I guess and put a cover on it. IDK, is there a better idea? can't be taking my seat off all the time
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Volker_P

Re: how to connect my battery charger alligator clips to battery without removing seat?

Postby Volker_P » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:55 am

I remember I just had an additional cable lag mounted at the battery side of my starter solenoid. It was "somehow" :roll: accessible with alligator clips after removal of the side cover. This cable lag was strong enough to start the engine there, too, because in my case this was the reason to have it.
Note that this solution could cause a strong short sufficient to blow up your battery so be careful! When unused, I pushed a short plastic hose on the bare metal to avoid any risk of a short because the frame was close.
If you just want to use it for a trickle charger (which means you walk away after it is connected) I would recommend a fused solution in any case.
And alligator clips are only fine as long as you have an eye on them. Better use safe connectors in such case.
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Folsoml

Re: how to connect my battery charger alligator clips to battery without removing seat?

Postby Folsoml » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:58 am

If you remove the left side cover, you will have access to the starter solenoid. One of the cables of the top of the solenoid goes directly to the battery (which one depends on whether it is an OEM solenoid or an aftermarket one). You can connect the positive clip of your charger to this and the negative to a good solid ground (engine mount bolt, etc).

Like Volker_P said, connecting it solidly to the battery with an in-line fuse is the better way to go. Once you have it connected to your terminals, you can simply plug it in.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

juntjoo

Postby juntjoo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:21 am

Folsoml wrote:If you remove the left side cover, you will have access to the starter solenoid. One of the cables of the top of the solenoid goes directly to the battery (which one depends on whether it is an OEM solenoid or an aftermarket one). You can connect the positive clip of your charger to this and the negative to a good solid ground (engine mount bolt, etc).

Like Volker_P said, connecting it solidly to the battery with an in-line fuse is the better way to go. Once you have it connected to your terminals, you can simply plug it in.

so you're suggesting that I get that "battery tender" brand as it comes with that fuse? so it would come with a fuse AND have a simple cknnection to make. hmm... that is a nifty little device.

does my main fuse not play a role or could I connect behind it or something for added security? It should be safe on the 2amp trickle setting tho no?
82" cb650 Nighthawk

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:32 pm

I'm not endorsing any particular brand, I just included the picture to show a firmly affixed wiring system. If you already have a battery charger of some sort, you can make simple wiring system and plug.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Return to “Technical Discussion”