1981 CB650C after market tank help.

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Gr8Dane36

1981 CB650C after market tank help.

Postby Gr8Dane36 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:51 am

Good morning everyone.

I've got a question. I've been looking around and see all sort of cafe tank ideas, and small bobber tanks on the CB650's. I'm not doing a cafe racer, or smaller bobber tank. Does anyone know what after market 4gallon+ tank would fit with minor fabrication on the CB650C?

Any ideas, or links to someone who has done this before? I've seen some pics, but without they type of tank they used.

My original tank is rusted through on the welds, and I want to turn my bike into more of a rat with a larger tank, old police/beach handlebars, and springer seat. The bike is rough and many modifications were made to remove cosmetic items off before I got it many years ago.

I know I'll probably have to move the coils around, or possibly use a split, vented tank to space around the coils. Haven't seen a split tank used before.

Let me know what you all have as options.

Thanks.
Dane

jefe06

Re: RE: 1981 CB650C after market tank help.

Postby jefe06 » Fri May 15, 2020 4:04 pm

Gr8Dane36 wrote:Good morning everyone.

I've got a question. I've been looking around and see all sort of cafe tank ideas, and small bobber tanks on the CB650's. I'm not doing a cafe racer, or smaller bobber tank. Does anyone know what after market 4gallon+ tank would fit with minor fabrication on the CB650C?

Any ideas, or links to someone who has done this before? I've seen some pics, but without they type of tank they used.

My original tank is rusted through on the welds, and I want to turn my bike into more of a rat with a larger tank, old police/beach handlebars, and springer seat. The bike is rough and many modifications were made to remove cosmetic items off before I got it many years ago.

I know I'll probably have to move the coils around, or possibly use a split, vented tank to space around the coils. Haven't seen a split tank used before.

Let me know what you all have as options.

Thanks.
Dane
Did you find a tank that worked?

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

80chopper

Re: 1981 CB650C after market tank help.

Postby 80chopper » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:36 am

I had to replace my tank and used a Rebel tank I found on Amazon for about $60. It is a 3.4 gal tank and I had to add some steel up front to run the bolt through but it works great.

kerryb

Re: 1981 CB650C after market tank help.

Postby kerryb » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:56 pm

Old post, I know... but someone is usually asking a similar question, so here is a possible solution.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,174985.50.html

1978 cb750k tank, 5.3 us gallons.

Return to “Technical Discussion”