Stuck Stator Bolt

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Grumpyoldowl

Stuck Stator Bolt

Postby Grumpyoldowl » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:23 pm

Hello all,

I am trying to get my stator out to fix the burnt-out alternator/rectifier connection, but my center bolt won't budge. I have assumed it is a lefty loosey, and I have tried extension pipe on my rachet, electric impact driver, and even manual impact driver, but no go. I have taken it out before myself and put it back, so I know it should not be so difficult to get it out since I do not have any power tools that would really tighten it so much.
I put it in 6th gear and apply rear break, but there is still some give to it.
At this point I am wondering if it isn't a right-hand bolt. I have tried both ways to be sure, but I would like to focus my energy in the right direction...

Anyone of you on the forum can confirm which direction this bolt loosen? Any other tip I could use? I do not have a torch so cannot heat it up (I would be a bit worried to burn the alternator altogether also). Short of taking this to the shop so that they can use an air impact driver... :roll:

stator bolt.jpg
stator bolt.jpg (495.8 KiB) Viewed 2731 times

Thank you for any help.
Cheers,
Olivier

Folsoml

Re: Stuck Stator Bolt

Postby Folsoml » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Lefty loosey is the way to go. If your rear wheel is still allowing a little play when the rear brake is applied, try inserting something like a wooden shovel handle into the spokes. Turn the rear wheel until the handle is braced against the swingarm.

An air impact wrench is what I always use.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Grumpyoldowl

Re: Stuck Stator Bolt

Postby Grumpyoldowl » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:21 pm

Thank you Folsoml,

This is useful tip. I will try to block my back wheel through the spokes. Also I am thinking of getting some PB Blaster. I heard good things about it and could not hurt to spay some around that bolt. At least I know which way to turn the bolt now.

Thanks,
Olivier

Return to “Technical Discussion”