Spark..

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Logan vandam

Spark..

Postby Logan vandam » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Running wonderful last season. Parked in shop been working on body and just random stuff nothing really with the motor. Started it a couple months ago to keep myself motivated. Started right up.. Go to do it again to see what I'm working for. And nothing just won't go. Do all the test realize I'm not getting spark in the two middle ones. Wait for new caps to come in.. Replace em, still nothing and cable keeps getting shorter because of trimming for maybe better connection. So decide to get new cable. 7mm copper core cable from and old timer motorcycle mechanic in town. Replace that and I still can't get spark. Tried different caps and the spark plug works. So the plugs not bad. Hook up a multimeter and it's getting voltage about the same as the ones that work. Just the plug won't spark.. Is there a chance that it's the wrong cable. Don't think the cylinders are out.. Any help would help my sanity.
Thanks logan

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Folsoml

Re: Spark..

Postby Folsoml » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:34 pm

Have you tried switching the coils to see if that fixes the problem?
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Logan vandam

Re: RE: Re: Spark..

Postby Logan vandam » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:09 pm

Folsoml wrote:Have you tried switching the coils to see if that fixes the problem?
No I did not, I'll have to give that a try tonight or tomorrow and I'll report back.

Logan vandam

Postby Logan vandam » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:07 pm

Pulled em, switched em, and still no spark. Spark in one and four still. So imma guess it's the wrong wires. So confused maybe I read it on a different forum about a different bike.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:41 am

I'll presume you have the plug wires hooked up correctly since it is 2 and 3 that are not sparking (correct? 1 and 4 to the left coil, 2 and 3 to the right?). Is in the plug wire you think may be wrong? 7mm wire is what you need for this bike.

Have you checked the pulse generator? I would check for continuity on the wires coming from the pulser going to the ignitors and see if you may have a break in there somewhere. These wire often get pinched around the area where they come out of the advancer cover.

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Logan vandam

Postby Logan vandam » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:09 am

Yeah, I have em all in the right spot have seen many post about people having them wrong so I've always been careful to not mix em up. I'll check out the pulse generator next!

Logan vandam

Postby Logan vandam » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Only had a little bit of time before work and had no idea what the pulse generator was (do now) thank you Google. But followed the wires down to the ci ignition box and it doesn't look too good from what I know. Could this be cause the problem? ImageImage

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:23 am

I'm sorry. I should have given more detailed instructions about the pulse generator.

Sadly, this forum is more dedicated to the non-Nighthawk versions of the CB650. I've not seen ignitors like that one before.

Return to “Technical Discussion”