Carb clean; accel pump

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

michael_650

Re: Carb clean; accel pump

Postby michael_650 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:25 am

Good news! Dealer can order the accelerator pump diaphragm.

Bad news! They want $85 for it!!

I'll be clicking the link from the moderator, thank you very much.

michael_650

Postby michael_650 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:50 pm

Finally ordered it. Shaft size is quoted as 89mm. I measured mine, it's more like 1.75" or 44mm. Guess I'll be cutting it down. Should arrive Monday.

When I cut it, what's the 'spec' on length? Is there a specific clearance between the lever that depresses it, or is it just "make it the same as the old one"?

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:52 am

The clearance between the pump rod and adjusting arm with the throttle closed should be between 0.4 - 0.6mm (0.015 - 0.023 in) Adjust by bending the adjusting arm.
Please remind me what type of carbs you have so that I can try to find the pump rod length, please don't cut anything until you know the correct size, your original appeared to be too short to me.

Folsoml

Postby Folsoml » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:41 am

GeorgeSweety wrote:Please remind me what type of carbs you have so that I can try to find the pump rod length

He should have VB44A carbs--presuming his bike still has what it left the factory with.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

michael_650

Postby michael_650 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:47 pm

I got annoyed, trying everything to get the accelerator pump bowl passageways cleared. I used a small drill (1mm) to drill out the brass block and try to pull it out by threading a screw into it. I had previously found a tutorial that stated the block was plastic; that proved not to be true. Under the block is an itty bitty hair spring and a little tiny steel ball bearing. The corrosion has taken its toll and i'm not convinced I can get it cleaned up. I also drilled all the way through the brass block in the effort to get it out. I was amazed at how absolutely tiny the parts are, and shocked that i didn't lose anything in the process!

So i'll go down this road: Does anybody know of or have an accelerator pump bowl in good condition for the VB44A? Is the bowl a common part across any other Honda carbs?

michael_650

Postby michael_650 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:31 am

Folsoml wrote:
GeorgeSweety wrote:Please remind me what type of carbs you have so that I can try to find the pump rod length

He should have VB44A carbs--presuming his bike still has what it left the factory with.

Yes, I have the VB44A's.

Return to “Technical Discussion”