Bogging when cold

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

Katatonia

Bogging when cold

Postby Katatonia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:20 am

Hey everyone,

I have a CB 650 Z, which is currently running with a 4-1 exhaust and everything else stock.

I noticed when i was fixing it up during the winter that the previous owner had put ducttape across half of the intake, i had no clue why so i removed it.

Now when i start up the bike, i can't rev up fast when the engine is cold. It bogs awfully and almost shuts off. But if i do it slowly, once i get it up to full rev once or twice, it stops completely and runs normally.

Does this have anything to do with that tape, or the intake of air? The carbs are newly cleaned and synced. It might be a small issue, but really annoys me. I have still to check the plugs to see whether they are white or greasy.

Any insight or ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Folsoml

Re: Bogging when cold

Postby Folsoml » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:33 pm

Sounds pretty standard for a cold engine.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

GeorgeSweety

Postby GeorgeSweety » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:25 am

Hi Kat, the issue that is bothering you also bothered the PO, that is why he taped up half of the inlet, to enrich the mixture so the bike would start easier and pull away quicker. To me it would just make more sense to use the choke for a bit longer. If it bothers you that much put the tape back but I wouldn't recommended it.

michael_650

Postby michael_650 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:02 pm

Sounds like a work around for choke plates that don't close all the way. Have you had them apart to visually inspect and make sure they operate smoothly and close completely?

Return to “Technical Discussion”