Dont know where to begin

If it's broken or just needs tweaked

Moderators: Volker_P, tidd650

kingcollins1488

Dont know where to begin

Postby kingcollins1488 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:41 am

Ok i was just givin a 1980 model Cb650 as a project. Only problem is the motor is in pieces in a bin. And to be completely honest i havnt the slightest idea where to even attempt to start to get it up and running. If anyone might be able to see kinda what its looking like in the pics and can give me any help, it would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Folsoml

Re: Dont know where to begin

Postby Folsoml » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:50 pm

Welcome to the forum.

kingcollins1488 wrote:If anyone might be able to see kinda what its looking like in the pics and can give me any help, it would be greatly appreciated

I'm not seeing the pictures you speak of.
Have a problem with your CB650? Have a technical question? Click here!

My Current Bikes: 2005 HD FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2007 Yamaha Vino,

Volker_P

Re: Dont know where to begin

Postby Volker_P » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:21 am

Welcome here! :D

I would recommend to read around in the forum a bit to get an idea what you got there.
Then read the repair manual as you would read a book to get a bit common with the things in your boxes.
Then have a closer look into your boxes and try to recognize the parts you did see in the manual.
You will get an impression in what shape they are that way, too. Possibly you find out that you like to get some replacement parts before you start.

I would start with the carbs to come into the job. They are not heavy and do not have too many parts and so you can play around a bit there.
And as they usually need to be cleaned this is no waste of time for sure.

For the engine, just follow the manual in reverse direction from the point you have to start. Possibly it makes sense to open and check some things as they are easily accessible now. Replace the cam chain and valve stem seals in any case as this usually makes sense. Get a small enough torque wrench and check out and clean all threads before you start to bolt any parts together.
Also get an idea if your set is complete by making a list. Partzilla and the online manual can be helpful here.

It is also worth to have a look into all electric connectors and switches before you mount them to the bike. Electric issues can become very annoying and tricky.

And - of course - have a look inside your fuel tank! :lol:

Have fun!
Cosky's great (free) online manual: http://cosky0.tripod.com

forum links to common technical issues

If you really like this site and you would not like to see it vanish soon, have a look there: Urgent: Future of HondaCB650.com Forum

Return to “Technical Discussion”